Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,104 Posts
The slime coat protects fish from disease and parasites and from "absorbing" too much water. One of the most important things is to keep the water as clean as possible until slime coat regenerates.Do daily 25% water changes and vacuum. Use SeaChem Prime and add daily at two drops per gallon.

I prefer SeaChem StressGuard to StressCoat. If you decide to use StressGuard you must dose daily as it dissipates in 24 hours.

Also, unless the pH is off the charts don't mess with it. From everything I've read, fluctuating parameters can cause the sloughing of the slime coat.

I'd suggest a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. I have had them on my tanks for the last eight or so years. If they don't register then your test kit is registering non-toxic Ammonium; not toxic "Free Ammonia."

·
Super Moderator
24,104 Posts
How high is the pH? Also, keep in mind a pH of 6 isn't nitrifying bacteria-friendly. That's why many find it difficult to cycle tanks with 6.0 pH and lower. Can you adjust to 7.0?

I'll try to find the article on the effects of low pH. One was burns/lesions. Didn't mention slime coat that I can recall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts