Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I'm not sure why you are adding "old/cycled" water to do a water change.
Maybe I misread? Could you confirm that I read correctly?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
When I first got peaches I was told to make sure that I returned some of the water back into the tank. Maybe I'm not using the correct term, but when I clean the entire tank, I put peaches in a small bowl with water from the aquarium (b/f the water change). Then after cleaning, I fill the tank with new water (dechlorinated), except for the amount that's in the bowl. I was told this is healthy for the fish as it returns a good bit of good bacteria back into the tank.

Is this wrong to do? I've been doing it since I got him with no ill effects (until maybe now).
bowl?
I was told that anything smaller than 5 gallons cannot cycle.
I think it is possible your betta has ammonia poisoning. He seems to be pretty far into it. My course of action would be to cup the betta. Do 100% change/slowly acclimate him like you just got him home.
For betta acclimation I have the cup 1/4 full of their original water/add 1 teaspoon every 15-20 mins. Once the cup is nearly full I release the betta.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Thanks again, Olympia!

The filter cartridge really isn't dirty. In fact, I rinsed the entire filter (which is what I do when I do a thorough aquarium cleaning) & changed to a new cartridge 2 weeks ago (I changed cartridges as needed) & the cartridges have stayed relatively clean until just a few days ago (when I noticed that it was catching a small amount of debris - perhaps a few morsels of leftover food that I was unable to remove). Otherwise, it is still pretty clean.
wait
im really confused
is the betta in a bowl or a tank?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
a tank. i only (briefly) put him in a bowl when i'm cleaning the tank.
play
you confused me earlier when you mentioned a bowl. so it made me think you had him in a bowl
how big is your set up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.