Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Betta fish community!! I am very new to owning a beautiful betta and just got my little guy yesterday. He is in a 1.5 Gal tetra cube tank with a whisper filter. He has a little bit of fin rot so I'm going to do water changes every other day because it is a mild case. (what I was told to do by you lovely members) <3

I woke up this morning to see that the water is a tad milky looking, almost like someone poured a couple drops of milk in the water. Sushi (my betta) is fine and flaring about and it doesn't seem to bother him. I looked this up and I'm pretty sure it is bacterial bloom. But I don't know what to do!

Is bacterial bloom safe? What do I do or buy to get rid of it? I am a poor college student so I have almost no money for a couple more weeks. :c I can't test the ph because I do not have a kit. Help me!! D:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Bacterial bloom is safe, don't worry. It usually happens when the tank is new or the substrate disturbed, and excess nutrients are released into the aquarium. When this happens, the bacteria population explodes exponentially and results in a cloudy or “milky” appearance, which is bacteria floating in the water.

Change the water, wait it out, and the bacteria bloom will disappear in a few days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just change the water every couple days and it will eventually disappear? :eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I've seen some people say that you don't put your fish in until the cycle is done. But I didn't think my tank would do that. I changed his water and it is already milky again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm ok. I changed his wated again and it is already getting cloudy again. I also read that it could be cycling. But I didn't think it would do that. It could also be ammonia. There are bubbles on the glass and a lot of big bubbles coming out of the dilter which means there is gas in the water right? The thing it is only happening to my tank. My friend got a betta too but a different size tank.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmm ok. I changed his wated again and it is already getting cloudy again. I also read that it could be cycling. But I didn't think it would do that. It could also be ammonia. There are bubbles on the glass and a lot of big bubbles coming out of the dilter which means there is gas in the water right? The thing it is only happening to my tank. My friend got a betta too but a different size tank.
Well yes, water is one part oxygen to two parts hydrogen, both of which naturally exist in gas form. Some state change when you disturb water is to be expected. It's normal to get bubbles with water changes, it's just air. I actually find that excessive water changes tend to exacerbate bacteria blooms. Since your fish is battling fin rot, however, you don't really have a choice. The bloom will subside on its own eventually, it's nothing to worry about. It's better for the fish to have that bacteria in there than to be in a sterile environment anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I guess I was just worried about him since I absolutely adore him already and he is my first official pet. xD The water is not as cloudy as yesterday is barely noticeable. I read something about excessive bubbles coming out of the top of the filter meaning something about cycling. I will be changing his water every two days for his mild fin rot. I guess as long as he is still eating and being active I don't need to worry. :D And omg so many typos in my last comment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts