Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously am at a loss for words and don't know how to pose this question. I went to check out a LFS I had never been to today and I stumbled upon this fish. At first glance I knew there was something wrong with him but then I looked closer and saw another fish's fins at the bottom of the container. Is it possible this fish consumed another Betta fish??! The reason I am asking is because if that fish is ill im contemplating rescuing him, because I know that no one else will want such a strange looking fish. Could this fish just have a birth defect? Nonetheless, I was hoping to get some opinions on what could be wrong with this fish, or if he just has an extremely full belly from consuming another fish.
Also, I do not plan on giving this store any business besides getting that poor fish out of there. Obviously they arent doing there jobs correctly if there's another fish's fins inside of that container. It's just sad.
So if anyone has any opinions to offer it would be great because if this fish is sick or has a birth defect I am really interested in rescuing it because I don't want him to die in that store.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
In 3 years of working at a pet store, I thought I'd seen everything with fish... but I've NEVER seen a fish like that!

He looks extremely bloated, and I don't know if you can save him. If I brought him home, I'd start with 1tbs (the max amount) of Epsom salt, and I'd have some frozen daphnia (which has a laxative effect) waiting to try too if the ES didn't work on it's own. I'd float him in a larger heated tank so he can easily get to the surface.

That's really disturbing that there is another fishes fin in the bottom of the cup. I really have no idea if he ate another fish or not, I've heard of them ripping apart each other when people stupidly put them together, but not eating each other. But, I suppose it's possible since they'll eat smaller fish.

ETA: I guess my Eponine was that big when she passed away from suspected organ failure a few years ago. That's another possibility fluid retention due to organ failure. But, ES would be the treatment I would use in that instance too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Poor thing :( that definitely looks like dropsy and unfortunatly there is not much you can do at that stage. Im sorry hun :( also the fins might be his own :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts