Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm thinking about getting another nano tank for another betta (they are so addicting lol) and for the set up I was thinking of having shale or stones as the focal point with java fern and a carpet. But I've read that carpets wont do so well in a small tank unless they are given CO2 and high light.

This is the tank I will be getting Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

I have java fern propagating like crazy, and the anubias has a new leaf and the frog bit up top is doing well too. The light is fantastic for low light plants, but what about a carpet?? Any suggestions?

· Registered
1,144 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two plants I was thinking of using was either dwarf hair grass or micro sword lol. From the links provided they seem to have similar requirements. Now, for substrate, I have plane sand and I use a liquid fertilizer to supplement. Would that be enough for either of these plants? Or should I consider root tabs or a substrate with fertilizer in it?

· Registered
209 Posts
Two of the easiest:
glossostigma and lilaeopsis brasilinensis (or something like that)

*However, sand and its inertness and the general lack of intensity of your light will make it very hard for such plants to carpet, according to planted tank terms. These plants will rather grow taller and towards the light, rather than branching out horizontally like you would want them to. Maybe change substrate and dose excel/use root tabs if possible?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the only reason i was debatine substrate was because i have about 3lbs of plain sand left over from the tank above. I dont really like the color anyway so I was considering getting a good substrate but my concern now is algae especially with added liquid ferts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.