Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
So recently, I bought a CrownTail Betta. It now resides in a 3.5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. The heater cannot be adjusted but the water reads 80 degrees. Anyways, a week has gone since I bought him so I decided to change the water. I put him in the container I got him in with the water in the tank. (I got the API test kits, and nitrite and ammonia was both 0). So I began surfing the web for diseases and stuff and how I should deal with them, and I found some and I compared it to my fish. When it was in the container just before I put it back into the tank, I noticed he was quite pale (he was like that when I got him) compared to the other fish and that he had white spots. I hope I'm just paranoid but better safe than sorry I guess. So is it some sort of disease or am I just being paranoid? If they are diseases, how should I deal with them? Below are some pictures I took. Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sorry guys but I just realized after testing I haven't answered the following completely:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? two pellets in the morning, two pellets at night, skip one day every week, and i feed the bloodworms two times a week to replace two pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nothing, I just use a water conditioner (Prime)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It dashes around abruptly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No (However it did pretty similarwhen I first got it, which was about a week ago)
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

·
Registered
902 Posts
I just recently had a similar issue with my girl betta, where she darts around. I was told it could be the water bothering her. I would do more frequent water changes. Maybe two 50% each week? My sister has a 3 gallon, and I have her on a schedule where she does 50% changes every Wednesday and Saturday, and she does a full change every other week and her fish seems happy and healthy.

Also, I suggest picking up some Stress Coat+. It'll help heal his tail. :)

The markings you circled in the first picture look like natural coloring to me. He might be pale because he's stressed, or it may just be his natural color. My girl betta looks very similar to him, as far as colors go.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just recently had a similar issue with my girl betta, where she darts around. I was told it could be the water bothering her. I would do more frequent water changes. Maybe two 50% each week? My sister has a 3 gallon, and I have her on a schedule where she does 50% changes every Wednesday and Saturday, and she does a full change every other week and her fish seems happy and healthy.

The markings you circled in the first picture look like natural coloring to me. He might be pale because he's stressed, or it may just be his natural color. My girl betta looks very similar to him, as far as colors go.
Good for you with your understanding the importance of water changes!!!! And educating your Sister too, was a smart move...if more people did water changes they way you and your Sister do, there would be FAR less illness and problems on here with people's fish.

I have my Bettas in Gallon tanks, and they get 100% changes every 3-4 days. My fish have NEVER been ill, and my one Betta will be 4 this Summer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys but:

For the tail, can I use Stress Coat + WITH Prime(provides stress coat already), the water conditioner I already have, or should I only use one? Also, will I need to use salt or anything to treat its tail? And the white spots aren't ick or anything? :p

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm pretty sure it'll be okay. I've used Stress Coat+ with Prime before, and it worked out fine. His tail healed up pretty quickly. On the bottle, it has a dosage to heal torn fins. Just use that and it should be fine. You could try using AQ salt, as that sometimes helps as well, but Stress Coat and more frequent water changes should definitely help out a lot.

The white spots on his back are actually just shiny scales, I believe. My girl betta's the same way. I'm pretty sure ick doesn't appear in a pattern like that, either. :) Aside from the tears in his fins, he looks healthy to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts