Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Its been awhile since I've been on here, and sadly my reason for returning is my lovely Norman may have Dropsy.

He is currently in a 5.5 gallon heated tank with a filter. No live plants. Fed roughly every day to every other day, about 5-8 pellets a time. I only opted to do every other day because I noticed he was getting bloated often, and this seemed to fix the problem. 50% water changes are done every week, occasionally every two weeks. I am up at school while he is back home, and sometimes I can't make it home every weekend. My parents have cleaned the tank a few times for me, but I try to make it home each time.

My mom told me he wasn't really into his food this week which is not like him at all. I noticed he was incredibly bloated, more than I've ever seen him. I thought he was just constipated, but I'm now noticing slight pineconing of his scales. I tried to get a picture but haven't been able to yet. It looks like the bloating in more towards his right side near the back of his tail, and right up front around his fins. I'm quickly becoming more convinced that it is indeed Dropsy.

At time point I just want to know what I can do to make him comfortable. I won't be here again until next weekend, so treatment will be hard since my parents are so unfamiliar, and with the fatality rate of this, I'm not sure I'll try anything.

I will do a water change today. Should I keep the water level lower so he doesn't have to swim so much? It doesn't seem to bother him right now, but I don't know what will happen during the week. I wish I could be here to monitor him.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi there! Pretty fish! Have you tried peas for the bloating? They work like a laxative and are often very effective at treating swim bladder. Just get frozen peas, organic ones if you can find them and then take one and soak it in bottled water for a few minutes, then skin the pea completely and feed. Good luck : )

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pea treatment for bloating is very split on this site. A lot of people are for it, and a lot, if not more, are against it. I must admit that I side with those that are against it. It may help, but I think it can do more harm than good.

Thank you for the advice and quick response though. :) I appreciate it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other suggestions for my little guy? I'm still trying to get a picture. It's too dark now, but I'll try again tomorrow after I clean his tank.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update today: Norman appears to be the same, which is good and bad. I gave him some food this morning. He still comes out and greets people who walk up to his tank, but he's swimming sideways from the bloat. I cleaned his tank, didn't add as much water to it. I got a few pictures this time, though you can't see the pineconing. It's still very minimal. Is this maybe not dropsy then?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts