Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

My boy Louis is looking really tatty from his tail. It started with some missing chunks that I thought maybe was because of tearing against decorations (even though I've sanded down the rough edges on everything I own) that grew in size to large tears along the fin rays (that looked exactly like the pics on the tail-biting post) to a shrinking of tissue that now is starting to worry me. I hope you can tell me what this is and how to fix it.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What temperature is your tank? 78° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Azoo Betta Cuisine
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried? no (he won't have it)
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 times a day, a couple of shakes of the bottle.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25-30%, up to 70% on ocassion
What is the source of your water? bottled
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? stir it with the syphon
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? nothing

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? it has only gotten terrible during the last week (the rips have started appearing since 3 or 4 weeks ago)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The upper part of the tail fin looks really frayed. At first it looked like bites, then like rectangles between the rays missing, and now it looks like thin strips
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? he rests and hides more than before*
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? nope, healthy as a horse

*To be fair, when I got him he hadn't presented his real coloring nor the full span of his fins so he was a little torpedo zooming from one side of the tank to the other. He is a super delta so those got really heavy for him. I think the hiding is honestly because he needs more plants. My cat likes pawing at him and I think he is not game for that AT ALL. I do stop her but I cannot be there all the time so I want to give him more cover. Having said that, could the tail-biting (if it is that) be due to stress?

Pics 1 and 2 are how he is looking now and pic 3 is when the tearing started.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts