Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just got my new little buddy Boo about 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed some changes in his fins. I feel like it may be fin rot, but I'm not exactly sure, and I don't want to treat him unnecessarily if it isn't. I feel that if it is fin rot perhaps he's had it since I got him from petsmart and it may just be starting to develop. If it is I'm just trying to catch it early enough to help him;;;

What size is your tank?: 3 gallons.
What temperature is your tank?: About 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No, but I live in florida and my room is never less than like 85 degrees right now :(
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Aqueon betta pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
About 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
About every other day since the tank is cycling.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Topfin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested water yet recently, but I took it to the petstore last week and they said it was fine. I'm going to be getting a test kit soon though :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?:
Pelvic fins have become thinner with black edges and caudal fin has developed thin spots on each part of his double tail

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?:
Behavior has not changed, he is still very energetic and swims around a lot blowing bubbles.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
I started noticing a few days ago that his pelvic fins have been getting thinner, and a black color appeared on the edges. I wasn't sure if it was just that he was changing colors since his color has been becoming fuller lately. I noticed today that the tip of one looks a little floppy like it might fall off, and that the other one looks like it might have a little blister(I think it's a tear? Hard to tell because he won't sit still for a second) on it, this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not yet.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No, but he did a bit of a rough start as there was a bit of a mix up with the water when I first set up the tank.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
about 8-10 months?

I attached some pictures that will hopefully help identify what's wrong, thanks to everyone in advance for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow they really do look alike! But I do think that he has been changing in colors but I also think it may be something else along with that. :(

I just checked on him again today and his pelvic fins look even worse and over all his fins are looking a lil transparent at parts, as well as the back end of his anal fin looking a little shredded. I'm pretty sure there's nothing that could rip his fins in the tank so I am getting a little concerned. ;;

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I'm pretty sure he does have finrot, there is a considerable dent on one of his back fin and same with his top fin. :( if anyone would have any suggestions on how to treat this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I will post more pictures, it seemed like he was getting better but this morning i woke up to him with holes, and his double tail and split right down to his body! :(((
I really think this is an emergency now I've been doing as you suggested so I'm not really sure what else to do. I'm gonna see about getting him a quarantine tank today, luckily his behavior hasn't changed I just hope he's okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here's some pictures, it's hard to tell how bad his bad fins are because the top half are being covered by his dorsal fin but they are missing a significant amount out of them :'((
If anyone can please help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So after following the directions on the betta splendid website he seemed to be getting better but, but he still had big areas a grayed transparent fin from before getting him in a new smaller tank, while doing the 100% water change for the day, Boo got grumpy while waiting for me to finish in his tiny cup and threw a tantrum which caused the tips of his fins to get totally ripped up :/

So I'm just wondering is it better that the bad bits of fin are gone and will he be able to heal up okay? His tail is looking better where it split but the ends are still looking frayed..

Also he hasn't gotten darker the lighting is just bad aha

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Taeanna I do agree with you about the iridescence on his tail, but he does have fin rot :( I think it may have made the other colors apparent as the fins got thinner, but about the ventral fins i was worried about the black edges. They used to be so much more full and they have gotten much thinner than they were before.. I have been doing a AQ salt treatment for the past 2 days so I'm hoping he'll get better soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.