Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my male betta fish for a little over 8 months. Since I'm in college, I had to leave him with a friend over the summer.

He lived in a gallon fishbowl with no heater. When I was taking care of him, I usually changed the water every week, but I recently found out that she only changed the water every two weeks or so, though they were 100% water changes.

I'm a little worried that he may have fin rot. Most of his fins don't appear any different than they did when I got him (as far as I can tell), but I've noticed that his pectoral fins are a little jagged. They are his normal blue shade for about half of the fin, and then they jaggedly transition into a more translucent section of the fin.

I did more research on how to care for my betta (I'm a first-time owner, and I've changed a lot of my methods of taking care of my fish since I bought him), and I recently changed him from the fishbowl to a 2.5 gallon heated tank. I made sure to acclimate him with a baggy first, and I treated the water before I put him in it. He seems to be doing okay; he isn't lethargic, but he isn't spasming all over the place, either.

My question: should I wait for a little while before I seek treatment for fin rot? Would doing frequent 50% and 100% water changes and keeping the tank more clean possibly fix the problem? If so, how often should I do these changes?

If I should do a salt treatment, how would I go about doing that? Can I purchase the salt from my local pet store? How would I help my fish without hurting/disturbing him any more?

I can post pictures later once I have the chance to get them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should do 25 - 50% water changes for the next few weeks. if that doesn't work then you should buy a container of aquarium salt and then add a teaspoon per gallon. before you put the salt into the tank, you have to wait for it to dissolve with some water from the tank. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts