What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - TOM mini internal filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes - hydor theo 25 watt
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One nerite snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 3 in the evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I’ve been bad about water changes lately, so I think it’s been about a week since I did my last water change of about 50%. Now I’m planning to be doing a water change every day, as close to 100% as I can get without having to take Edmond out of the tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually about 50%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime normally, but now I’m using API stress coat to help with Edmond’s fins.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm (this was before I did my water change today)
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There’s a small chunk missing from Edmond’s anal fin. Where the chunk used to be is now outlined in red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His behavior hasn’t changed at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I’m upping my water changing schedule and using API Stress coat instead of Prime.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got Edmond in May, and he was full grown at the time, so probably close to a year old.

I’ve posted another thread in Betta Care, but I haven’t gotten a response there yet, so I figured I’d try here. I think Edmond has fin rot, but I’ve never seen a betta with fin rot before, so I’m not sure. From the descriptions I’ve read, though, you don’t see red edges on the fins with fin biting, but you can with fin rot. I'm going to see if I can find some aquarium salt later today to help.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Here’s how he looks right now:

· Registered
2,654 Posts
Is the caudal fin sticking together in spots? If it starts to look like melted plastic then it could be fin melt.

That is one nasty bite on his anal fin.

Here is a great thread on fin-rot vs. fin-biting,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

You can try to PM lilnaugrim of the reference team she will be able to give you confirmation about what's going on.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to Petsmart today and picked up a 1 gallon QT tank, a silk plant for it, and some aquarium salt. After reading the link you just posted, I think I’ll just save the aquarium salt in case Edmond ever gets ich. I may not even use the QT tank yet, since moving him into a completely new tank will probably just stress him out more than necessary. But I feel better knowing that I at least have one.

The only thing that made me think he might have fin rot was the red edging where the chunk used to be. I guess it could just be fin biting, but I haven’t seen him trying to bite his fins. He’s a rose tail though—so it’s very likely.

I think I’ll just stay on top of the water changes for now, and maybe steep one of the rooibos teabags I have. I’ll continue using API stress coat, as well.

His fins don’t seem to be melting. His caudal fin has looked curly ever since it started to get really long. Other than the missing chunk and red edging, he looks completely normal, and acts normal. I think I saw a betta at Petsmart today who probably had fin melt, though — he was trying to swim in short bursts, but his body and his fins looked really stiff and clamped.

Thank you for the information! It’s been very helpful. :)

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday I did another large water change, probably about 50-75%. I also steeped a rooibos teabag in his water.

I have a TOM mini internal filter in his tank with the spray bar attachment, and I noticed that in the position I had the spray bar, he would try to swim over it and occasionally get stuck. I'm thinking this is probably how he injured his fins, so I've moved the spray bar into a less dangerous position. Hopefully he won't be tempted to swim over it anymore.

The red edges on his fin don't seem to be getting better. It's still a bright red, and seems to be extending up his fin the slightest amount. I'm going to do another water change today, and maybe steep another teabag in his water if it doesn't look dark enough after the water change.

He seems to have a few more tears on his caudal fin, but none of them have red edges like the one on his anal fin. I'm hoping this is a good sign, but it would be even better if the red on his anal fin would just go away.

Should I quarantine him in the 1 gallon tank I bought, or will he be fine in his 2.5 gallon if I just continue to do large water changes each day?

· Registered
2,654 Posts
Is there anyway you could get rid of the spray bar? I wouldn't move him into a a quarantine tank. Just keep doing your water changes and keep using the rooibos tea. Maybe pick up some IAL, I personally think it's more effective. Shoot me a PM and I will divulge my source.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
Aquarium salt has been used to treat and prevent fin rot in freshwater fish for decades. Its easy on the fish, hard on the bacteria that causes fin rot. Bacteria hates salt. The change in salinity causes the cell wall of the bacteria to fail. Free ammonia becomes more toxic with: higher temperature, higher ph and lower salinity. So increasing salinity will lower toxicity of ammonia which can be the start of the finrot issue because ammonia damages the slimecoat and can allow a food source for bacteria to get a foot hold. If aquarium salt is used at the proper dose of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for freshwater fish, odds are you will greatly reduce the chances of ever getting fin rot on your betta fish.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could remove the spray bar, but the alternative is to have a single opening for the water exiting the filter, which would probably cause too strong of a current for Edmond.

The red on the edges are almost completely gone as of right now. I noticed they were starting to go away earlier today, so I'm hoping that sometime tomorrow it'll be completely gone.

I did two large water changes (50-75%) the first two days I noticed the red on his fins, conditioned the water with API StressCoat, and after the second water change I steeped a rooibos teabag in his water. I haven't done any other water changes since then, and things are looking better already. I didn't use aquarium salt, either. I may do another water change today, but if I'm not able to, I'll do one tomorrow morning and steep another teabag.

Thanks for all the help!

· Registered
2,677 Posts
Can you angle the spray bar so it's against the glass of the tank? I know another user did that and it helped with the flow.

I'm glad things are looking better :) He's a gorgeous fish!

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I've done. My only worry is if he tries to swim behind it and gets blown down to the bottom of the tank. I may move things around to provide space in that part of the tank, so that if he does get blown away by the current at the back of the tank, he won't get stuck under any decor.

The red isn't completely gone yet, but they're definitely going away. He has a big hole in his anal fin now, but I'm so glad it wasn't any worse!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.