Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am very new to the hobby and I am concerned to see what I think may be fin rot in my betta. Below are some pictures.

I'm not sure what information is relevant so I'm going to tell you everything I can think of and go from there.

My betta lives in a 10 gallon tank with two corydoras. I change about 25% of the water about once a week but when noticed my bettas fins looking ragged I did a much larger water change. As of yesterday, the ammonia is 0 ppm and in the last two months has remained low. My tank is cycled. It is kept at 79 degrees F. I have an air stone. All of my decorations are void of rough edges. I noticed his fins looking rough about two weeks ago and was told to use Seachem Paraguard. I followed the dosage instructions for two weeks. My betta's behavior has not changed. He is active, eating, and does not seem lethargic. He is not hiding.

My concern is that I haven't noticed any regrowth in his fins. I don't want to use medication for too long if it could harm him or the corys. Are there suggestions for something else I should use to treat him? I have a quarantine tank and I can run out today to look for different medicine or aquarium salt but I don't know much about how they work and I know that using it incorrectly could harm my fish.

Or, perhaps it's possible that this isn't fin rot and I'm going about this entirely the wrong way.

I would really appreciate any advice on the best way to treat my betta. I've had him for four months and I've never owned a fish before.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 2 Corydoras

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon, Seachem
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? Occasional blood worm and daphnia
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 pellets twice a day (the aqueon pellets are large so i only give one of those at once, the seachem pellets are smaller so i give 2. i mix it up day to day)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once/week
What percentage of water did you change? about 25%
What is the source of your water? tap (with conditioner)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? i vaccum the substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? seachem conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: I do not have a test for Nitrate
pH: 8
Hardness (GH): I do not have a test for GH
Alkalinity (KH): I do not have a test for KH

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? two weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? the fins are ragged
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? it hasn't
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? yes, with seachem paraguard for 2 weeks
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 4 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? the only thing i noticed was that his colors were dull when i first got him

·
Registered
157 Posts
It doesn’t really look like fin rot, I think he’s tearing his fins a little on decorations, or fin nipping his heavy fins off

I had a betta who was fin nipping and I didn’t clean the water enough and it turned into fin rot so just be careful

hopefully someone more experienced will reply

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
He does not have fin rot, he is nipping his own fins. It is thought that those that are in wide open tanks are more likely to bite. You may want to add more plants. My buyers have always done better in small tanks. 2-3 gallons.

Just a side note, cory need groups of at least 6 to thrive, you could easily add some in your 10 gallon if you wanted to.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As suggested, it is definitely not fin rot. The only thing I would add is to test your decorations and make sure they aren’t catching your bettas fins. You can run a pair of nylons over your decorations and plants and if they snag the nylons they with snag and tear your bettas fins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He does not have fin rot, he is nipping his own fins. It is thought that those that are in wide open tanks are more likely to bite. You may want to add more plants. My buyers have always done better in small tanks. 2-3 gallons.

Just a side note, cory need groups of at least 6 to thrive, you could easily add some in your 10 gallon if you wanted to.
Thank you so much. I will add plants. I planned on getting more Cory's I was just worried that adding that many at once would be too much on the bioload.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As suggested, it is definitely not fin rot. The only thing I would add is to test your decorations and make sure they aren’t catching your bettas fins. You can run a pair of nylons over your decorations and plants and if they snag the nylons they with snag and tear your bettas fins.
Thank you very much. Will do

·
Registered
344 Posts
I planned on getting more Cory's I was just worried that adding that many at once would be too much on the bioload.
Hi there,

In case you ever decided to do another tank or wondered about how much you can add to it, this is a pretty handy tool that was linked to me before on this site. It will show stock level after you enter tank size and you can select the fish and amount in a drop down, and it will calculate everything for you! :)

·
Registered
Neptune & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, and Crystal.
528 Posts
Hi there,

In case you ever decided to do another tank or wondered about how much you can add to it, this is a pretty handy tool that was linked to me before on this site. It will show stock level after you enter tank size and you can select the fish and amount in a drop down, and it will calculate everything for you! :)

Is it free?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts