Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I woke up I went to check on and feed my crowntail betta, Mocha, when I noticed he wasn't swimming to the top to greet me like he does every day. I found him hidden inside his little cave and when i finally managed to coax him out of hiding, I saw that his forehead had a weird white coat on it, with specks of it on his scales. He wasn't eating last night and just stayed at the bottom of the tank and he did the same today until I managed to give him a little bit of food, and while he was swimming I noticed one of his pectoral fins was torn! It looks like a fungal infection and maybe finrot, and I'm incredibly anxious. All he's been doing is laying on the bottom of the gravel, except when I tried to get pictures of him when he started freaking out and immediately avoided me, which he's never done. I've only had him since April and I don't want him to die! I don't know what to do! Any advice?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
10gal
Does it have a filter?
Yes, an Aqueon Quietflow 10
Does it have a heater?
Yes.
What temperature is your tank?
79-80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes, one airstone.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
None.

Food:
What food brand do you use?

Aqueon Betta Food
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
Twice a week I give him a freeze-dried bloodworm.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Twice a day. About 2 pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?

Every Wednesday
What percentage of water did you change?
20-25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum
What additives do you use?
Topfin dechlorinator and water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: Unknown (no at-home kit to get it tested, will do that later today)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.3
Hardness (GH): 140
Alkalinity (KH):20

I'm well aware the hardness and pH of the tank are not ideal but there's not a thing I can do about it, and it's been that way since April without issue for my betta.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Last night.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
It happened some time in the past 4 hours while I was sleeping.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Not eating, sitting at the bottom of the tank, avoiding me.
Is your Betta still eating?
Only after I managed to coax him to eat one pellet.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No because I'm not entirely sure what this is and I don't want to medicate before I know what to do.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
6 months. No damage or illness when I bought him and he was absolutely thriving until just a few hours ago.

Sorry for the low quality pictures; like I said before he was actively avoiding me as I was trying to get his picture taken.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts