Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my betta fish Douglas about two months ago. Just some background info: When I first got him I bought a half gallon plastic tank for him because that was all I could afford at the time. About two weeks later I purchased a 1.5 gal glass bowl. The water was fairly cold since I could not find a heater that could safely heat up under two gallons, but I tried to keep my room as warm as possible. Now just last night I went out and bought a ten gallon tank with a filter and heater.
Douglas has a very light patch under his head (he's had it for a few weeks but it seems slightly lighter? Also doesn't appear to be fuzzy) and his body which was a purple red color when I got him, has turned slightly brown/darker red. Also where his body connects to his fin, a light brown almost transparent strip has developed. He keeps swimming very close to/against the glass of the tank - I can't tell if he's scratching or just getting used to his new tank. He has a healthy appetite although he did spit out two of his pellets last night, he ate breakfast without a problem. Also still blowing his bubble nests. I can't tell if his colors are changing because he finally has a heater and lots of room to swim, or if it is symptoms of an illness.
I'm on my phone at th moment and can't figure out how to upload pics.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi.

Lets see if we can help you and Douglas out, But first can you please answer these questions.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS __________________

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Housing: 10 gal glass tank
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes, 7.5 watts (just added him to the ten gal with heater + filter under 24 hours ago. before this he was in a 1.5 gal glass tank with room temp water.)
What temperature is your tank? ranges from 70-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no, but i could get one if recommended.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? nope he's a loner

Food: tetra betta plus mini pellets
What food brand do you use? tetra betta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried?no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? it varies, from 3-6 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? in his previous bowl he had a 100% water change weekly.
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? emptied and refilled
What additives do you use? tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
i don't have a tester kit because the store did not have any in stock yesterday

Symptoms and Treatment: dulling/browning of skin. more apparent in direct light, not as noticeable without direct light. lighter blotchy patch of skin below his chin. it has been lighter since i got him but it seems to have gotten blotchier. not sure if marbling or indication of something else, he doesnt seem to have the marble gene. also spit out his dinner last night, even though he did eat this morning without a problem.
When did you first notice the symptoms? browning began gradually maybe 2 weeks ago? and getting the tank last night with an overhead light allowed me to see more of the dullness in his color. i didn't keep the lights on for long because i know that can stress them out
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? brownness/dullness of color, slight transparency where body meets fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? not much change in behavior, still eating pretty normally and getting a good amount of exercise.
Is your Betta still eating? as of this morning, yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no, i don't want to give him the wrong medicine without knowing what's up with him
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? he didn't eat much when i first got him, but as soon as i switched him from flakes to pellets he hasnt skipped a meal (besides one last night). could have been adjusting to new tank?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? two months, bought from pet supplies plus

these are pics of douglas with the tank light on for more clarity because you can barely see him without the light on my camera. when i first got him his whole body was the same red and blue colors as his fins, but as you can see his body dulls gradually from left to right.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
First I think your Betta looks fine. Bettas often have darker faces, or bodies that get brighter towards the tail end.

I'm not sure if it just a reflection, but if there is a stripe along his body in his centre, that might be a stress stripe. To feel more secure your Betta would need some more hiding spots, plants (live or silk, not plastic), decorations with no sharp edges where he could tear his delicate fins.

His tank's temperature should be warmer, no less than 76 F, no more than 81 F!

I also suspect your tank's filter is not cycled yet, meaning the filter media does not have any beneficial bacteria built up that would convert the fish's waste into safer Nitrate. (Fish waste, uneaten food and decomposing plant material produce toxic ammonia, one type of the beneficial bacteria converts Ammonia into another toxin called Nitrite, the other type of bacteria converts the Nitrite into Nitrate (Nitrate is safe in low levels, 1-20 or so) just to roughly explain this concept.

While your tank is still cycling you will need to check those levels with a test tube testing kit. Anytime the levels of Ammonia and Nitrite reach dangerous levels you need to do a water change. You can find the cycling methods in a sticky on this forum (I believe it is located in the beginner's section).

I don't know the size of the pellets that you are feeding, but it may not be the best choice of food for your Betta. I know of three good choices, Omega, New Life Spectrum and another which name I can't remember just now, it is a community fish food that as a variation food can be given to Bettas as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on the food issue.

I hope this has been helpful to you, good luck with your Betta, and good choice on giving him a bigger tank! :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Your tank is way too cold. 7.5w is too small for a 10G. You need a 25w or 50w, preferably an adjustable one. Oh and now that he's in a 10G, keep in mind that he doesn't need 100% water changes anymore!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts