Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think Alpha has a very mild case of ich. I think I see one white spot on his right pectoral fin. And that's also the side I see him rubbing on things. Now my questions are:
1.) Whats the best ich medicine?
2.) Should I treat him in another tank?
3.) If I put him in another tank, how do I treat his main tank? I do have snails and shrimp in there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or it could be velvet. I just took a closer look at him and he has golden specks.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Ghost shrimp, pond snails, two assassin snails, BN pleco (this is not his permanent home, he will be moved to a 55 gallon soon) and baby mystery snails(then they will be moved when they get bigger).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 pellets once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A water conditioner (I forgot the brands name)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: Hard-Very Hard
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are very tattered looking, he has a golden sheen to his body, and a white spot on his pectoral fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He flashes quite a bit.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I havent. I'm not sure on what I should do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had torn fins before.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Over a year old. I've almost had him a year now.

Here's a few pictures. They show his fins, the golden sheen, and the white spot.

He is still eating but he isn't as active as my other bettas.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I don't see ich in those pictures. Ich is not one of those things that you have to catch early. If it is ich, then there will be many more white spots showing up at which point you can begin treating for it. Ich is very easy to treat. If it's something you want to research then that's great - everyone should know how to treat it. Otherwise, you can just cross that bridge when you get there.

Spots and marks and things come and go on fish - just like how our skin is not perfect all the time.

I don't have any experience with velvet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just diagnosed two of my fish with ich, and they have many more spots than your fish does. I doubt he has it. I begin treatment today.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Just because you don't see spots doesn't mean that the fish isn't carrying it, which is why it's a good idea to treat all fish just to make sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So should I just start the treatment for ich or velvet? I just saw one white spot but I am worried about the golden look he has. And can it transfer to everything else in the tank?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did pick up some betta revive. Just in case. But I'd rather not treat till I know its actually something. I looked at him again and it doesn't really look like velvet. But I have seen one white spot. So should I wait to see if anything else pops up before I treat him?
And if it isnt velvet or ich then why else would he be flashing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts