Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone. So I wanted to try out breeding bettas and I bought a pair from my local breeder. They are a dumbo ear pair and they look very promising. But there's just this one problem where the female's dorsal fin seems deformed possibly from not eating enough as a fry? or could it be a genetic thing? I dont know. When I asked the breeder he said its not a healed fin disease so we could cross that out. Anyway, when I asked him if it would be a problem with breeding he said its okay and the fry would turn out fine. So I'm looking for a second opinion here, should I just go with her or trade her with a better looking betta. A couple of thing's to consider here: the female I currently have has the best colors of all the females available, she's very receptive with the males approach by showing those vertical stripes almost instantly, and she's in top notch health.
Im will attach a pic below if anyone wants to see her, I'll try my best with my old phone.

You can see the dorsal fin there, half of it is not present. So yeah, will breeding her yeild me deformed fry?

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
You need to know if it is genetic or due to external factors. If the later, then she should be safe to breed. Otherwise, replace her with a different female - if possible from the same batch (to get her traits).

What is you breeding goal (you mentioned she has the best color). Could you post pictures of the pair?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to know if it is genetic or due to external factors. If the later, then she should be safe to breed. Otherwise, replace her with a different female - if possible from the same batch (to get her traits).

What is you breeding goal (you mentioned she has the best color). Could you post pictures of the pair?
Water Fin Underwater Fish Fish supply

Thats the female
Water Pollinator Insect Plant Beak

Thats the male
And to answer your questions, I don't know what is the cause of the deformity. When I asked its breeder, he said its not because of an external factor but he also didn't say that it was genetics, he's pretty unclear about it. But he's also very sure that the female wont affect the fry. From what I've seen all her siblings seem to look fine, they only lack the red coloration im looking for.
My breeding goal is a mostly red dumbo.
Should I trade her just to be safe?

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
If her siblings look fine, then she should be safe. But to be certain, it is best to replace her.

That blue red combo looks as if they were from lavender lines. You should produce those color patterns regardless which sibling/female you breed to. However, the butterfly trait may not appear with sibling female.

Blue (irid) red is a very common color combination and easily recreated. Any Blue crossed to red will produce blue red combo. IMO, just pair an irid female that carries red to that male. You should produce the desired combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If her siblings look fine, then she should be safe. But to be certain, it is best to replace her.

That blue red combo looks as if they were from lavender lines. You should produce those color patterns regardless which sibling/female you breed to. However, the butterfly trait may not appear with sibling female.

Blue (irid) red is a very common color combination and easily recreated. Any Blue crossed to red will produce blue red combo. IMO, just pair an irid female that carries red to that male. You should produce the desired combo.
Alright then I shall trade her for another female. I very much appreciate the advice you have given, thank you and best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts