Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I scared Franky by dropping the lid of the tank closed when he was right at the top. He shot straight down to the bottom of the tank into the gravel, and then stayed there in an awkward position for ~5 minutes. I turned off the light and kept an eye on him to make sure he hadn't hurt himself. He started moving around, but stayed at the bottom and back of the tank for a long time. He's already bad about shredding his tail, but the next day, his tail was more mangled than usual, and he was all twitchy and scared of the little red spoon I use to feed him. He kept spitting out his food and darting away to hide in his plants. Now, he's calmed down a bit, but one of his eyes is swollen. Did he hurt himself? Is he stressed/traumatized? Is he sick? I don't know. Here's his info etc:

Housing
What size is your tank? - 10gal
What temperature is your tank? 82*
Does your tank have a filter? foam filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? besides filter bubbles, no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? moss ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? OO pellets and spectrum pellets, occasionally frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every two weeks with a couple of top-offs in between.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No, but his tank has been perfectly balanced for months now and I haven't done anything differently. I'll test it tomorrow and update this if something has changed.
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His right eye is slightly bigger than his left.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- He's more twitchy/skittish than usual, and seems to have trouble finding his food. He's also not as interested in his food, and it takes a lot of coaxing and luring with his spoon to get him to eat more than one pellet.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- The behavior, a couple days ago. I noticed his eye tonight while giving him dinner.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- I've been giving him less food, since he won't eat much anyway, and I added a half-gallon of fresh treated water today.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he was very sick when I first got him and has had fin rot a few times. He also has some kind of fungus that, as far as anyone can tell (fish experts etc.), doesn't hurt or hinder him, and I can't get it to go away.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~2 years

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His eye looks the same today. And I'm not sure, but it seems like he can't see things on that side. His water parameters are fine. The swelling isn't extreme and his eye isn't cloudy, but should I start treating him for popeye anyway? I have Aquarium salt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts