Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this morning while walking the pooch I saw a gentlemen looking at what seemed to be a regular fish tank. However when I walked by it was a really nice box front! So when he started walking away, I of course headed straight to it. I picked it up without much inspection except to see if there was any major damage and hulled it inside. Took it into the bathroom and started filling her up. Seems to hold water+ Great condition+ BUT...the rim/frame is broken and I don't know if this will cause any issues with it being filled up or not and I am now wanting to take the whole frame off just to inspect the entire glass area to make sure. Here is a photo. Any expert aquariums people please let me know what I can do to solve the issue. Does it really need the frame to be filled and work? Can I use it like this? Should and possibly where can I find a replacement frame? Thanks in advance! Lui.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
239 Posts
Now I'm no expert... But in my experience as long as the glue holding the glass together and the silicone keeping it watertight are intact and stable it should be fine without the frame... I have seen glass tanks without a frame to begin with (we have a 100 gallon one in our back room holding bait fish) So if you do a test to see if it holds water well and the silicone all looks in order and "healthy" then I would say it should be fine. Just be careful removing the frame, if you choose to do so, that you don't compromise it any more... like don't chip it. You know lol! Nice find that's for sure!

I just noticed it appears that the silicone is yellowy? If you know how, or have someone who knows how, I would probably suggest resiliconing it. You can buy aquarium sealant at most pet stores and the old silicone can usually be removed using a blade. Hope you can get it in working order!

·
Registered
239 Posts
No problem! I can't wait to see it all set up and ready to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.