Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: copy and pasted the emergency form, this is for my oranda goldfish, Bombur
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
55 gallons
Does it have a filter?
yes
Does it have a heater?
yes
What temperature is your tank?
78*F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
for my goldfish tank, 1 fantail goldfish
Food:
What food brand do you use?
omega one medium sinking goldfish pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
pellets
Freeze-dried?
never
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
daily, sometimes offer peas or broccoli
Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
weekly
What percentage of water did you change?
25%
What is the source of your water?
tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
seachem prime, stress guard

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
last week
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
no
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
kind of
Is your Betta still eating?
yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I added a second heater on the other side of the tank and added more airation
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
no
How long have you owned your Betta?
5 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
no

I upgraded Bombur and Bofur (fantial goldfish) from their 29 gallon to a 55 gallon tank about three weeks ago. They have an Aquaclear 55 hob filter, a sponge filter rated for 40 gallons, and a spare 10 gallon filter running. At first I had only one heater that I thought was for 40-55 gallons, but was only for 10-20. They both seemed to be doing well in the larger tank, last week Bombur (my oranda) started floating to the top of the water and could not relax and stay at the bottom or middle of the tank. I read that it was a swim bladder issue, added in another 20-30 gallon heater on the opposite side of the tank from the first filter, added in a large airstone to increase oxygenation, and added in stress guard. I also did not feed them for 3 days and then offered peas. After that, Bombur seemed to be doing better and I figured all was well. Today he started floating to the top of the tank again.

My parameters seem good, I offer about 15-20 pellets first thing in the morning and all of them are gone within 10-15 minutes. Just wondering why he keeps having issues? When I got Bombur and Bofur, the associate told me that fancy goldfish prefer higher temperatures than single tails. I've been rereading other careguides though and they either say that anywhere from 40*F - 90*F is fine, or narrow it to 65*F - 72*F. I've had them for several months without any issues, and their temperatures haven't fluctuated before, also Bofur seems to be fine. Is the temperature ok, or is it something else that's causing issues?

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Everything I've ever read said goldfish prefer cool water, I think that stress from continually living in warm water may be part of the problem, BUT if you lower the temperature make sure to do so slowly, a couple of degrees every 3 or 4 hours, to prevent shocking them.

How much are you feeding them, and are you soaking the pellets before feeding?

You might want to try switching food and see if Bombur does better. If he does well for a week or so then try the Omega One again, if his swim bladder acts up again the Omega One is likely the cause. I don't know about gold fish but one of my betta could not eat Omega One pellets because he'd get swim bladder disease from it and not be able to stay submerged in the tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put about 15-20 pellets in to the tank, I think Bombur usually eats more than Bofur. I do not soak the pellets before feeding.
I'm a little concerned now, because I also feed my betta omega one betta buffet flakes. Is that the food that caused your betta isssues?
I'll start lowering their temperatures and definitely look into different food brands for the goldfish, please let me know if I should start looking for different betta food too.

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
At the time I had 4 betta that I was feeding the omega one pellets to, and it was only Bruiser that had that reaction, so I think if your betta is doing good on it then it should be fine. I'd fed that food in the past without an issue. Experiment with feeding it to Bombur like I suggested, it's how I figured out the food was what was causing Bruiser's problem. If it's not the food then we'll need to start looking into other causes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts