Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! So I've been having this problem with my fish for a long time now, I just didn't know it was going on because he changed colors on me when I bought him and he has a very strange personality so I didn't see the signs as something worrisome.

My super delta started getting red streaks on his fins, not towards the end but the middle, then his fins (especially the anal fin) started turning a translucent brown, but he was still eating and behaving like his usual self (he is very low activity, so I never thought he was getting lethargic). Anyways, recently he stopped eating and will literally not move apart from finding a different plant to perch on, so that's when I worried and started researching about it and saw it could be septicemia. I will post more information and pictures later since I am at work and unable to test the water parameters and all that.

The problem is that I am in Mexico and can't find any medicated foods around, not even to buy online. I did find Kanaplex in Petco though, and it says that it works for septicemia. Would you recommend me using this? Do you guys have other solutions?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 79 - 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 ramhorn snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? azoo betta cuisine
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried? idk
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 times per day like 10 tiny flakes per feeding

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1 x week
What percentage of water did you change? 25% to 30%
What is the source of your water? bottled water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? nothing

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: will get back to you guys with this.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? looking back like 2 months ago (when red streaks started)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? started with red streaks in fins, then the anal fin got translucent brown.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? got more lethargic than usual.
Is your Betta still eating? stopped yesterday but hasn't been eating enthusiastically for days
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? just a bit of methylene blue
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? not really, just fin biting
How long have you owned your Betta? almost 8 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Without a picture I don't want to take a guess if it's septicimia that he has. If it is septicimia Kanaplex should help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to dig through my phone to see if I had anything but the only thing I had was the one attached, when it started. Notice the red streaks in his anal fin? They are so bright I thought he was just changing colors, but then they muted down to brown and covered most of his anal fin. I will get a better pic as soon as I'm able to!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without a picture I don't want to take a guess if it's septicimia that he has. If it is septicimia Kanaplex should help.
Here is a better picture. Sadly I couldn't find the ones I took where you could see that against the light his fins looked brownish and translucent where there should've been bright black coloring. I hope you can see her how the black close to the body on the anal fin looks reddish-brown. That is where he looks translucent.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like color change to me, and not septicemia. I'd suspect something like fin rot rather then septicemia judging by how he appears to be biting his fins. For either the kanaplex should help.

Here is an article about septicemia and it mentions some other antibiotics that can be used. https://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/septicemia-infection/
Thanks, I actually saw that article last night and researched those antibiotics and also medicated food but I couldn't find anything available to me, so I'm going to try my luck with the kanaplex. I could maybe find the other meds in a regular pharmacy, but I wouldn't know how to administer them, since they wouldn't come with instructions for fish haha... do you (or anyone in this thread) have an idea on how much to give him and such?

·
Super Moderator
2,623 Posts
I don't see septicemia on him, in fact, I don't see anything particularly wrong with regards disease, he may be a little over fed, somewhat difficult to tell from the pictures, but nothing that would warrant meds.
One thing I did notice about his care is that you use bottled water. Depending on what type of bottled water you use, it could be worse for him than tap water with conditioners. Hopefully the water you're using still has minerals in it and it not something like distilled water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see septicemia on him, in fact, I don't see anything particularly wrong with regards disease, he may be a little over fed, somewhat difficult to tell from the pictures, but nothing that would warrant meds.
One thing I did notice about his care is that you use bottled water. Depending on what type of bottled water you use, it could be worse for him than tap water with conditioners. Hopefully the water you're using still has minerals in it and it not something like distilled water.
I've been told by aquarium shop owners to use bottled water cuz tap water here isn't actually potable. I used tap water before but the ph is even higher than bottled water (which is already over 😎 and I cannot be certain of how clean it is or what goes in it (you literally cannot drink it), and I had a betta die of mysterious causes with tap water use (with conditioner), so I'm wary of it. And it MUST have minerals in it, else it wouldn't even be safe for human consumption.

Also, I have another betta with the same regime and he is doing just fine.

I have new pics of his fins. What do you think this could be?

Could it be lack of sunlight or something? He is in a place that never gets any sunlight whatsoever....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
I've been told by aquarium shop owners to use bottled water cuz tap water here isn't actually potable. I used tap water before but the ph is even higher than bottled water (which is already over 😎 and I cannot be certain of how clean it is or what goes in it (you literally cannot drink it), and I had a betta die of mysterious causes with tap water use (with conditioner), so I'm wary of it. And it MUST have minerals in it, else it wouldn't even be safe for human consumption.

Could it be lack of sunlight or something? He is in a place that never gets any sunlight whatsoever....
When you use bottled water for freshwater tanks it's best to use spring water, and you should stick to the same brand so the PH and mineral composition does not fluctuate, I'd also still use a water conditioner just to be on the safe side.

Distilled water, or bottled drinking water, both have the minerals stripped out by how they are processed. For example I have a bottle of a local store's brand of purified drinking water and on the label it says "Processed by advanced filtration, ozone and reverse osmosis technologies" If I were to use that water in my freshwater fish tanks I'd need to add back in the minerals or my fish would slowly get sick and die.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

When you use bottled water for freshwater tanks it's best to use spring water, and you should stick to the same brand so the PH and mineral composition does not fluctuate, I'd also still use a water conditioner just to be on the safe side.

Distilled water, or bottled drinking water, both have the minerals stripped out by how they are processed. For example I have a bottle of a local store's brand of purified drinking water and on the label it says "Processed by advanced filtration, ozone and reverse osmosis technologies" If I were to use that water in my freshwater fish tanks I'd need to add back in the minerals or my fish would slowly get sick and die.
I'm going to ask my local bottled water provider then, because I am still not comfortable using tap water because it is not treated as strictly as water in other countries and I have no idea what it has (and no way to find out), and had a fish mysteriously die already in it (even with conditioner use). I will ask my usual aquarium store too, to see what they think.

·
Super Moderator
2,623 Posts
I have an office in Mexico so I understand, just need to make sure that his water is appropriate for a fish, I can only advise since I'm not able to see the actual quality of the water.
To answer one of your questions, he does look like he's biting his caudal fins which it why it looks so ragged, can't tell what's going on with his ventral. Literally anything can trigger them to start biting their fins. It also almost looks like a water quality issue, but your maintenance seems fine.

If you don't have live plants, I'd give his tank a deep clean, get all of the substrate stirred up and a large portion of the water changed out. You can cup him while you change the water in the tank. Also, try not to handle him if you can avoid it, handling will strip his slime coat which helps protect him. I'd also get some Indian Almond leaves or Rooibos tea (Twinnings has a good brand) and put that in his water to get some tannins in there.

Depending on what you find out about the bottled water (if it does not have minerals) and your budget, you could invest in a RO or a RO/DI water system and re-mineralize the water with something like Seachem Equilibrium.

I also still think he looks a little overfed too. Is he still not eating?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an office in Mexico so I understand, just need to make sure that his water is appropriate for a fish, I can only advise since I'm not able to see the actual quality of the water.
To answer one of your questions, he does look like he's biting his caudal fins which it why it looks so ragged, can't tell what's going on with his ventral. Literally anything can trigger them to start biting their fins. It also almost looks like a water quality issue, but your maintenance seems fine.

If you don't have live plants, I'd give his tank a deep clean, get all of the substrate stirred up and a large portion of the water changed out. You can cup him while you change the water in the tank. Also, try not to handle him if you can avoid it, handling will strip his slime coat which helps protect him. I'd also get some Indian Almond leaves or Rooibos tea (Twinnings has a good brand) and put that in his water to get some tannins in there.

Depending on what you find out about the bottled water (if it does not have minerals) and your budget, you could invest in a RO or a RO/DI water system and re-mineralize the water with something like Seachem Equilibrium.

I also still think he looks a little overfed too. Is he still not eating?
I haven't been able to ask yet, but I did realize that I do get a white build-up where the water line is, wouldn't that mean that it has a lot of minerals? Still going to ask though.

I do have live plants, and did an almost total water change recently. I will try to get him either rooibos or almond leaves, thank you!

By overfed do you mean fat? Or that his belly is swollen? Because if it is the second it really isn't (never had bloating problems with him), maybe the picture makes it seem that way, but he IS a robust fish. Out of the 4 times or so I offer him food, he'll maybe eat 2 flakes 1 time and eat a bit more enthusiastically much later in the evening, but still not as excitedly or as much as before (4 or 5 flakes), and then he doesn't eat again.

He is a really particular fish. He gets scared of his own shadow, never really was one for socializing (doesn't get excited to see people close to his tank, not even for food) or big shows of aggression, even when I tried to get him to flare with a mirror, and he is been this way ever since I got him, so EVERYTHING stresses him out (he was also very picky with food, I couldn't, and still cannot get him to eat anything else but those flakes). When he was smaller and had smaller fins he liked zooming from one side of the tank to the other, getting between all the plants and into decorations, but when his fins grew to their full size he got much lazier. I think they are too heavy for him and maybe that is also why he is biting them.

·
Super Moderator
2,623 Posts
The white buildup (if it is the one that gets hard and crusty when it dries) is most likely calcium. It's not a definite indicator that the water has all the minerals that he needs.

He doesn't look bloated, just a little big, to me (and it might just be because of the camera) he doesn't have that sleek and slender look.

Food pickiness can be changed, he's just used to the flakes and that's what he knows as food, everything else he doesn't recognize as food. You can switch him over it takes a lot of resolution on your part because you basically have to withhold the flakes and give him only the food you want him to eat until he understands that this new thing you're giving him is food. Since he's been eating that for months, it's not as easy as with a newer fish. If the food you get for him is good quality, it's not worth the fight.

When you feed you can look at his stomach to see if it's slightly rounded, or if you know your fish well enough, they slightly lose interest in food. What he's doing almost sounds like mine before my last trip. I started giving him a little extra at feedings a week before and he gobbled them up. When my trip got pushed back a week and I was still feeding him the extra, sometime during the week, he just lost interest in breakfast to the point where the day before the trip, he would eat it then spit it back up. A few days with no food and he was almost back on the breakfast train.

So not saying his lack of appetite is from overeating, once we can eliminate the water as any problems, I don't see anything else really that's a problem.

Also, if he's the type of fish that gets stressed out easily, the more cover you can put in the tank the better for him. My Saffron is skittish, so I have a towel draped over the back of his tank where it creates a dark spot by his filter. He hangs out there a lot when the light is on, it's hard to see him there but he comes out when he wants to patrol or interact with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi guys, thank you to everyone that tried to help. Sadly, my baby died on Tuesday, and I was too depressed about it to come back sooner with updates.

I don't know what did him in, but I am going to research some more and do a deep-clean (possible nuke) of my tank before getting any more fish. Thankfully my other baby is doing fine, but I will apply all your advice to his care.

Again, thank you guys for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
2,623 Posts
Sorry for your loss. He didn't look like he was in any serious distress.
I would also still double check the water to ensure that it is fish safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for your loss. He didn't look like he was in any serious distress.
I would also still double check the water to ensure that it is fish safe.
Thank you.

Yeah, I am comforted in the fact that he didn't seem to have suffered too much. I am seriously worried about that tank cuz I had another fish die in it, and my other current betta (in a totally different tank) is doing just fine.

No replacements in the near future for me until I feel like I can have one safely! 🙂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts