Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 9/14/18, I adopted 2 Halfmoon Bettas from Petsmart. Both have beautiful finnage from what I can tell and both flare very well! Stefan is Turquoise and Damon is what I believe to be a multicolor black lace, but correct me if I'm wrong! Do you think these guys would be able to get into a show? I'm trying to get a sideview of Damon flaring still but I did get Stefan Flaring so let me know what you guys think and is showing petstore fish allowed?

(keep in mind that I'm a noob at fish judging)
Judging Stefan: He seems to have clean conformation, full halfmoon, rays appear to branch into 4, long anal fin that it seems rounded, nice dorsal fin, long rounded ventral fins.

Judging Damon: Nice clean topline slope, pointed anal fin that blends with tail, dorsal fin doesn't look the best so it may still be growing, long rounded ventral fins.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damon Flaring!

I finally managed to get a good video of Damon Flaring and I got some screenshots of that! He doesn't have as neat of fins as Stefan but I still think he's gorgeous.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
The çircles are immediate faults I see.
1. Ventrals must not branch
2. Fins must be smooth and neat. Folds are faulted
3. Fins must be equal lengths
4. Pundecle (end of body) must not tilt

Tbh, I don't know how severe each are faulted. And I'm not sure if rounded caudal edges are faulted (ideally should form a perfect "D")

sketch-1537374412333.jpg

I'll review the other guy in a minute

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Second guy;

Picture too dark and Can't see ventrals.
Body not too good - almost hunched back (not sure if its the angle or if he's actually like that)
Fin fold
Anal fin too long, and messy
Messy color - no balanced pattern

Ray count doesn't really matter, as long as fins spread nice and neat without any folding. Not sure if IBC faults OHM (local shows don't - I think)

IMG_20180919_235124.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has been really helpful! Thank you so much. I might be breeding the turquoise boy to a royal blue female I want to buy in October from an IBC show. If I got a female with no folding in the fins would that help fix the lines? I'm mostly breeding them as pretty pets but I would like to show in the future if I can manage to make a show quality line.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Folding is mainly caused by excessive rays. You need to reduce ray count by breeding to lower rays - gat a 4 ray female to ensure less rays.

I trully believe females determine fin out come more than males. Look for as perfect formed female as possible.:
1. Bullet shaped body (top and bottom fairly equal if drawn line in middle). End of body should not tilt - fins should be, 90° to body
2. Dorsal at least opens like a fan (forming half circle or half oval). One with long front rays is even better.
3. Caudal "D" shaped should produce some with such trait. If male has excessive rays, 4 ray female is prefered (me, personally). Look for wide webbing (tissue between the rays). This should give you more 180* caudal spread (HM xHM = 60-80% HM at best - when working with 4-8 rays)
4. All fins MUST be equal lengths
5. Thick/wide blade shaped ventrals with no splitting/branching
6. Since your male is solid, get a female with as little red as possible. Black is more tolerable since it mainly affects color shade. But if possible, no black is better

Keep in mind that many breeders, mainly Asians believe females determines fin form. So they usually cull over stock. Be very patient when searching for one. In many cases you may have to work with what is available which msy take you many generations before achieving your goal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The çircles are immediate faults I see.
1. Ventrals must not branch
2. Fins must be smooth and neat. Folds are faulted
3. Fins must be equal lengths
4. Pundecle (end of body) must not tilt

Tbh, I don't know how severe each are faulted. And I'm not sure if rounded caudal edges are faulted (ideally should form a perfect "D")

View attachment 956282

I'll review the other guy in a minute
Golly @indjo for someone not into shows, you know alot about a good looking betta!

Only thing I know, these betta are way better looking than LH, except I LOVE his colours and havent seen any like him yet #proudmama #noshame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.