Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Be careful with that. Pothos are poisonous to animals and people. I had to warn my neighbors not to let their kids mess with the plants on my front porch. I have two pothos growing out there while the weather is warm.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I see you posted on the wrong forum.
Here we care for our fish, anything under 2.5 gallons is shameful here (exception to a few people who have everything and a special needs fish). You need a heater and decoration. Nessecary.

Bowls are bad, listen to us and upgrade to a 5gallon kit now!

That is not a fact, it may be partial truth, but no one plant will suck up all the nitrates, you will need 3. Also, in a bowl, you need to worry about NH3. Ammonia. Not nitrate.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sorry for being a bit harsh, but we love our fish quite a bit here. And the ecosystem with pothos/peace lily is highly hated here.

Bettas are happy in a pothos ecosystem!

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sampaul, I think Mousie meant to be careful yourself, during water changes and such. Or if you have any other pets such as cats.

It's a pretty bowl. Perhaps a few more plants would look nice? Maybe an anubias or two in the bottom, or a couple of java ferns? Or even a little carpet of moss balls! I've found my Betta loves a lot of plant cover, it makes him feel secure in his own little territory. Maybe even a couple of pot plants either side, to complement the pothos?

We do really recommend heaters to keep the temperature stable between 78-82F. Especially in a bowl, since the large surface area is likely to cause temperature fluctuations which can be a little stressful for Bettas. Filters aren't necessary as long as you are performing regular water changes and testing your water, but I think a heater is an essential to keep a Betta healthy and give it the best possible chance of living a long life (well, long for a Betta).

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Sampaul, I think Mousie meant to be careful yourself, during water changes and such. Or if you have any other pets such as cats.
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
+1 to everything Danni said.

mousie yes you are right but my betta is a carnivore man he only likes worms never eats pellets
As I said... animals (cat's, dogs, etc.) and people (**** sapiens). I am fully aware that betta are carnivores. If you are only feeding worms, your betta is missing a lot in his diet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn't recommend you feed only worms. I've heard of bettas getting health problems that way. I would suggest you either find a brand of pellet your betta likes or figure out something else for the diet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We're just trying to offer helpful suggestions based on our own experiences, little tweaks that might make him even happier and healthier. Ultimately, you are the fish's guardian, so it's up to you :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I see you posted on the wrong forum.
This did make me cringe a bit >_< It's not like we're a special elitist club or anything here.

As long as water is warm and clean (no ammonia) you have the minimums of care.

Without a cycle (the bacteria live in filter media, usually) you will not really have nitrates/nitrites for the plant.

If you want to add enrichment to the home (not a mirror, but decorations or more plants to move around in, explore and add security) it can only make your fish happier :)

The reasons people push for larger enclosures is that it gives you more room to add decor/plants for enrichment, and even tankmates. 5+ gallons of water means you can more easily establish a cycle.

If you really like pretty planted tanks, you should have a look around the forums - NPT/Naturally Planted Tanks and the tanks that have plants growing out the top of them are fantastic and beautiful, and I think a pothos would be an excellent part of that!

·
Registered
639 Posts
thanks for your concern i just hate aquastar telling me that i have a small bowl .
I'm sorry you felt attacked. Our members can be quite passionate about fish... sometimes things don't always come out correctly.

We have a great thread on here, where people have posted pictures of their 1-2 gallon set ups, and there are plenty of adorable bowls on there if you fancy inspiration, plus care tips for small set ups! Also, check out Aqua Auroras journal... she does amazing things with bowls and she gives great advice on being successful with aquatic plants too :)

Don't feel unwelcome. As I'm sure you're aware, pet stores often give quite bad advice about Bettas, and one if the worst is the 'betta in a vase' set up, advising people their Bettas don't need heaters and will eat the plant roots! So sometimes, in trying to promote the welfare of these lovely fish, things can touch a nerve. But as long as you are providing the basics (a heater, appropriate water changes and a varied protein rich diet) then there's no reason Bettas can't be kept in smaller set ups. They do tend to require more maintenance though, which is why we tend to advise on the larger set ups ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can tell you now that the pothos won't grow much in an uncycled tank. I keep pothos in all my cycled tanks, but I once had 2 mini "tanks" with pothos, one cycled, and one uncycled. The pothos in the cycled tank grew like a WEED, massive! It doubled in size. The one in the uncycled tank might have grown one leaf in the same amount of time. lol They only get nitrates to grow in a cycled tank, as another poster mentioned. :)

I'd recommend a bigger tank (even just a 2.5 that you could cycle), but I'm not knocking the bowl method. Perfectly fine to just do more water changes without cycling, but wanted to say that the pothos will likely be veeeery slow to grow. Watch out in case the roots start to rot b/c it's not getting enough nutrients or light. Just trying to be helpful. :3

Edited to add: He's goooorgeous. I so want a plakat one day. lol

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I can tell you now that the pothos won't grow much in an uncycled tank.

I keep several pothos plants. Some planted in dirt pots and some in glass vases of water. Those glass vases are several years old (because I've been too lazy to pot them in dirted pots). Those grow just as quickly as the dirted ones. I change the water out twice a week and I have to constantly keep them pinched back to prevent them from creeping into my African Violets. I can't recall which plant is the original, but it was given to me when my son was 2. He's now 18.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was wondering if someone would come and say otherwise about my post. xD

That's hard to believe, but interesting! Maybe it has to do with the tap water. It's possible your tap is higher in nutrients or nitrates (recalling now that some tap water does, in fact, have higher nitrates. I forgot about that lol).

If my pothos in my cycled tanks had been growing for 16 years, it would be as big as my master bedroom! I bought my pothos plant exactly a year ago and it's 5+x the size now on nothing but a cycled tank and some scattered window light through a blind. Curious as to how huge yours is and how much light it gets. =D

Was just my experience anyway, but I guess it might not apply generally like I thought it would. haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts