Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, is there a special way to prepare fresh veg like cucumber to make it suitable for my bristlenose pleco and how often should I give him this?
Also, how many algae wafers should I give him each day? There's a nice wall of algae 12x18 inches of the stuff so he's plenty of the real thing too.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I've never done special prep for cucumber for my animals. Spinach and zucchini can be blanched however.
I'd experiment and feed however much he can eat in a night. :)

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I feed lots of zucchini squash, green bean, sweet potatoes to my plecos....what I do is slice it in about quarter inch slices an drop it in boiling water for about 3 min-it usually will start to sink by that time.I remove it from the hot water to cold water to stop the cooking and to cool off so that I can remove the seeds.
Once cool and seedless I drop it in the tank...If it doesn't sink I will stick a fork in it to keep it on the bottom.

For cucumbers-I make quarter inch slices, remove the seeds-stick a fork in it to keep it under water-remover every 24h

Spinach-I do a 20-30 second blanch on it-then drop in cold water-once cool I place it in the tank with a rock on top of it.

For 1 pleco-I would feed half an algae wafer every other day and offer a protein meal once a week too-like a shrimp pellet.

If you feed fresh blanched veggies-offer small amount to start and remove and replace every 24h.
I never have to remove anything-between the plecos, shrimp and snails its all gone within 12h.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts