Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Pretty sure freddy has come down with a fungus.

His fins are starting to get "clumpy" and he has white cottony stuff outlining his anal fin and a patch on his side near the back.

Whats the best treatment (non med) for this if any?

Im thinking he got it from a mouldy IAL, so i removed the leaf and made him some IAL tea. I put a slight amount of aq. salts and raised the temp to about 78deg

Should i lower the temp? Omit the IAL tea and just do a full aq. salt tank for a few days? ORR something completely differnt?

Currently in a 5g, no filter, 74-76deg - feeding flakes w/ dried worms

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Try to fill out the answers to all of the questions on this form as thoroughly as you can: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 it will help give us the information we need to form an accurate diagnosis. Most find it easiest to copy and paste the form and fill in the answers that way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Housing
What size is your tank? - 5g
What temperature is your tank? 75 normally, raised to 78 now for treatment
Does your tank have a filter?
NO
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
NO

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
NONE
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? FLAKES W/DRIED WORMS IN THEM, HE DOESNT LIKE THE PELLETS
How often do you feed your betta fish? ONCE TO TWICE A DAY SMALL AMOUNTS

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3/4 WATER CHANGE ONCE A WEEK, FULL WATER CHANGE EVERY OTHER WEEK

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
PRIME WATER COND. (.5-1MM) AND IAL WHICH SITS ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER IN THE CORNER

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?FINS ARE BULGY, WHITE PATCH ON SIDE AND LINING THE BACK OF THE ANAL FIN

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? SITTING NEAR THE BOTTOM OR ON THE GRAVELS, NOT EATING AS USUAL

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 DAYS AGO

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? YES, FULL WATER CHANG, ADDED AQUARIUM SALTS (1TBSP) AND REMOVED THE IAL.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? NOT WITH FUNGUS

How old is your fish (approximately)?1.5YRS

Administrator View Public Profile Send a private message to Administrator Find More Posts by Administrator Add Administrator to Your Contacts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Unfortunatly im pretty much a novice with betta care, so i cant really help you out much, but freddy looks almost identical to my female, Anya. Ill see if i can get an okay picture of her.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well bad news.......Freddy was acting fine so i put some IAL tea in with his salts and this morning he looks pretty rough :(

Looks like a couple fins are "comming off?" like they are shiney and look like they are flaking.....also near the orginal cottony spot there are a couple hanging cottony pieces......his fins are starting to clamp up a bit and the top one looks like it has bubbles in the clamps...like bulges. :( I did another water change......with salts......just not sure what to do now. Maybe change the rocks?

Can some one HELP?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Would it be possible to post a picture at all so we can get a better understanding of the problem? Words can only help until someone deciphers your words wrong.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do a 100% water change and add Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Raise the temperature to 80 degrees. I don't think the IAL has to do with any of this. I would hold back on using salt for now (not with meds).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive never used meds b4......i have a small 1/2 gallon tank but no heater for it.....should i put the meds in his usual tank or move him over? I'll post a pic but its hard to see exactly what im talking about. :(

you cant really tell but some of the white spots hanging like cotton......other ones are like silver scales (looks like they are flaking off?) The grey patch is like a saddle on both sides of his body :( and the buldging fins are really weird :-(

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hmm, I'm a bit of a newbie, but maybe try a little bit of aquarium salt? It helped with my betta's Ich and cleared up a cottony-spot he got on the side of his head. It's not really a med, and it doesn't hurt the fish if you don't use it for more than 10 days straight.

When my fish had Ich, I added aquarium salt and cranked the water temperature up to 82-84. I realize your fish doesn't have Ich, but maybe keeping the water at around 80 and adding salt will help?

Just be careful with raising the temp if you suspect bacteria is what's making your fish ill, cause some grow faster with extra heat :shock:

My fish responds really well to salt treatments, he really seems to perk up when I add it to his water when he's feeling bad.

Good luck with your fish! :-D

Edit:*facepalms* You're already using salt, oops!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Do a 100% water change and add Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Raise the temperature to 80 degrees. I don't think the IAL has to do with any of this. I would hold back on using salt for now (not with meds).
Silver's advice is good, don't mix with salt! :) I've heard that med works well, but fortunately never have had to use it.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Eek! I think that might be columnaris (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm), not a fungal infection. One of the symptoms is a 'saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin, which you mentioned in your post. I've never had a fish with columnaris, but since it's bacterial, you will probably have to look at getting some antibiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience can add something.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE CAN be good.I had good experience mixing it with TETRACYCLINE . It helped to treat FIN ROT,COLUMANARIS AND other bacteria.
I treating one of the betta right now with FUNGUS CURE by API + AQUARIUM SALT I can't say if it curing him but he is not getting worste.The instructions saying two doses required for full course of treatment. I just did first dose. But at least he definitely not worst.

Well it dose one,then 2nd in 48 hrs then another in 48 hrs so I will see how he doing. I am very superstitious so I afraid to say better until I finish treatment

But I want to fish guy he told me do not raise the water. Fungus like warm water.

The fish we treating now has white cottony stuff on fins and on one side of gill and some on one side of the back.

When I treated betta with FIN ROT about 1.3 years ago I treated him with TETRACYCLINE MIX TOGATHER WITH FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE AND IT HALPED. I tried to do it with this fish it helped at the beginning then he get it again. I decided to treat him with FUNGUS CURE.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eek! I think that might be columnaris (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm), not a fungal infection. One of the symptoms is a 'saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin, which you mentioned in your post. I've never had a fish with columnaris, but since it's bacterial, you will probably have to look at getting some antibiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience can add something.

OH MY GOSSSHHH!!!!! I think you are right! :( :(

I am going first thing tomorrow am to get some antibiotics! Oh geese i hope i catch it in time...i dont want Freddy to go thru that! :(

TYVM

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Just want to ask if the fungus cleared?

My betta had symptoms like ur betta did and i think it cleared. I observe him yesterday for long time his body 100% better. Still afraid to say it completely gone i want to wait a little. I afraid it can return .
But FUNGUS CURE by API halped. He had a lot of white stuff hanging from gils,and body on a sides. But i don't think it was COLUMNARIS I think it was Fungus. I saw BETTA with COLUMNARIS before.

Well i will observe him again i hope he completely cleared.His behavior never change he is about 2 years old. He is very active huge fluorescing batta who love to eat :)

If this medication going to cleared my betta then I love the API AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICALS BRANDS OF MEDICATIONS.It always helped. Like i say before i used TETRACYCLINE BY THE SAME brand with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR which helped us to recover other fish.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I treated my betta with Furan II wich is for a range of bacterias and as he looks better the white/greyish colour is still there AND the sore on his side is not healing....i will try a fungus eliminator......hope it works. :(

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I used FUNGUS CURE BY API . I still observe him and i really do that. I look at him from different angles and i have magnifying glass too. Some times if it a little bit of it u can’t see it. That how is my was if u look strait u can’t see it. I don't see white stuff any more. But i afraid to say he completely recovered.

The Medications i used it anti-fungal. The box instructions for WHITE COTTONY TUFTS OR PATCHES ON THE MOUTH,SKIN AND FINS;MOUTH FUNGUS.SLIMY PATCHES;BODY SLIME,FIN AND TAIL ROT.

There is about 10 or 12 powders in the box so i still have more do u want me to mail it to u. I can put in envelop and just mail it to u.

If u want it please sand me private msg that way it easier for me to see it. And I can do it today at my lunch brake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts