Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So I was running out of waterconditioner yesterday and I decided to switch to the well known conditioner Seachem Prime. So I went out and looked at the bottles that my Petco has (Since my town has a pretty crappy fishstore. It only good for saltwater fish because we live near the ocean.) and all I could find are their big bottles of Seachem. Mind you I wouldnt be in this mess if I could order things online :cry: .

Anyways, heres my question:
I've been getting mixed reviews on whether if its okay or not to overdose. Some people say that its okay if its only a little, some people say its not okay. So my question is how much is really too much?

Reason why I ask this question is that the bottle that my petstore is selling is for things like 10 gallons and 50 gallons. All I have is a dinky little 3.5 gal. I did calculate how many milimeters (because its a big bottle..) It would take for a normal dose of Seachem Prime for a 3.5... :/ I really wish my petstores around here had better supplies. And I really wish I could order online :-(

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Do you have a pipette or dropper bottles anywhere near you? It's a lot easier to dose 1 drop/gal rather than x mL/gal. And according to Seachem, it's OK to "overdose" by up to 5x the intended dose

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a pipette or dropper bottles anywhere near you? It's a lot easier to dose 1 drop/gal rather than x mL/gal. And according to Seachem, it's OK to "overdose" by up to 5x the intended dose
Omg, I forgot those existed!!! O_O Thanks!! I'll search for one of those instantly!!! And It is ok? Guess the Prime must be that safe for a fish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most pharmacies have cheap glass droppers there for eye and ear treatments. I got a nice glass one for $1.50 in Rite Aid a while ago. Just make sure you clean it with HOT (not soapy!) water before you use it. Also, beware the sulfur smell of Prime! It gets me every time

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi, I contacted Seachem to help me figure the amount to use for my 2.5 gallon tank

Given I do 64 ounce water changes, they suggested only one drop for the 64 ounces.
They also said if it ended up being a bit more, it would still be ok.
The small bottle I bought is only a 1.7oz size and has a dropper opening on it.

ps... I found Seachem online @ ebay but Seachem said they could not guarantee the legitimacy of the product if it is not one of their dealers, therefore I had
to find a fish store in a 20 mile radius that did have the product.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
LOL @anemonae that is so true. Prime smells h-o-r-r-i-d. But hey, it works *shrug* Betta Basics (also by Seachem) smell less IMO. Costs less too. But for some reason it's less popular.

And welp, about the 5x normal dose thing, I would honestly take it with a pinch of salt. I just mentioned that because I want you to know. But still, remember that a Seachem representative wouldn't say bad things about their own products. They advertised Prime to have a 4-year shelf life, but my last bottle went rancid (I know because it smells 10x worse) in less than 2 years *shrug*

·
Registered
74 Posts
The first time I cracked open a bottle of Prime near my boyfriend, I swear to goodness he went white and honestly thought that the horrible smell was me! Took him 5 minutes and a good whiff of the bottle to convince him I didn't do it!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Guess I'm weird, I've never noticed much smell. A little, sure, but no where near a dog on cheap dog food. LOL

Most people here recommend two drops per gallon. Obviously drops will vary, but I've never heard of an issue from using that amount.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to CVS and bought an eye dropper there. Thanks for the help :p And yes, when I first opened the bottle for the FIRST time my stomach turned and I thought I was gonna puke. But now I'll know next time so the impact wont be so bad xD

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The smell is bad and my husband had a pretty unpleasant reaction to the smell of it. I buy it a gallon at a time and I get bottles like these from the Dollar tree and use one drop straight from the bottle per gallon and it works fine

https://www.dollartree.com/Travel-Storage-Bottle-Sets/p302725/index.pro

The flip top bottles also make great food dispensers. I can buy large containers of food and I make a paper funnel and refill the bottles. I never have wet fingers in my food. I do rinse the bottles first and let them dry out. I usually take the flip tops off and it leave small hole. You don't have to though it depends up the pellet size. I've been doing this for over a year no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.