Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been a nog time since I've posted but I had a compatibility question. I've recently set up a divided 10gal tank for my bettas Romulus and Remus and I was wondering if I could add a mystery snail to this? I've had one in the past and I'd love to have another but I don't think my oscar, Thor would like one in his tank the same way I would, he would think it was a snack :shock: lol.

From a lot of other posts it looks like it'd be ok but I just wanted to double check :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Remus doesn't seem to agressive. Just a very relaxed fish. But he has never had any other tank mates so I can't say for sure. Romulus seems like if either one would be agressive it'd be him. Always much more active and gets angry at me if I don't feed him the first time he sees me in the mornings. So I think I'll let them get settled into their tank and then decide. Thanks for your feed back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is a picture of the set up too of anyone was wondering. Romulus is the reddish veil tail on the left and Remus is the blue veil tail on the right. I've posted about Remus before, I adopted him because he has one eye that is underdeveloped.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! It's my first divided tank so, I'm still a little nervous about it :/

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Even my most aggressive fish eventually got used to his tank mate. In the beginning, I watched him and every time he got aggressive, I reached in and moved his tank mate to the other side of the divider. Once I got enough decor in, and he got bored with me constantly moving his friend, he got over it and now has 2. All of my bettas (except for the one in the 2.5 gallon) have mystery snail friends. No snails have been lost to aggression.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nice tank! Only one concern: The plastic plants aren't the best for bettas. They can tear delicate fins and possibly injure him. You could try doing the "panty hose" trick, but i see a few in there that I had at one point and they didn't pass.
If you want to go the fake plant route I would suggest getting them silk plants rather than plastic. They won't injure your bettas.
Even better, if you can grow live plants it would be ideal, both for your bettas and water quality.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice tank! Only one concern: The plastic plants aren't the best for bettas. They can tear delicate fins and possibly injure him. You could try doing the "panty hose" trick, but i see a few in there that I had at one point and they didn't pass.
If you want to go the fake plant route I would suggest getting them silk plants rather than plastic. They won't injure your bettas.
Even better, if you can grow live plants it would be ideal, both for your bettas and water quality.
Thank you for your concerns! I have done the panty hose test on them and none of them snagged, which that big green on I was surprised as it looked like one that would. So that being said I'm still weary of it and have planned on buying a new pack of plants soon, those are just extras I've had laying around (I keep enough spare plants around so I can rotate and keep the bettas habitat changing)
Unfortuanly I'm not huge into live plants. Moss balls is about as far as I go. I have grown to like mondo grass so I may get some of it when new comes in.
But like I said thank you for your concerns! I hope I don't come off agrumentive at all bc I don't mean to be :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.