Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else constantly refer to their male better as a female or is it just me? I gave him (her) a feminine name. Her name is Khaleesi after Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones) because the label said she was a dragon scale when I got her from the LPS. So does anyone else do it or just me?

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I actually had a plakat male that was named 'Brighid'. What had happened was that when I was new to the hobby, I purchased what I thought was a female, but what later turned out to be a young plakat male.

However, the name itself stuck.

But I don't refer to my males as females. At least not once I have their gender correctly identified.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Not me, of course there's hardly anything feminine about this Drragonscale,
Where's mine is almost pink so it wouldn't be hard LOL, 2 of my non betta keeping friends think he's a she because of his color, and a friends 7 year old daughter wanted to name him Tinkerbell.

I am not naming my male Betta Tinkerbell.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Tinkerbell is a great name, Nick XD

Personally I'm not the kinda person that ensures male pets are named with obviously-masculine or females with obviously-feminine names. I just pick a meaningful name that suits them. Serendipity is a children's book series I used to read as a kid, and its dictionary definition is something like "lucky occurrence". So Seren it is. Volga is the name of the longest river in Russia. I picked that because originally I was gonna call the little guy Virga - geographical term for "fake rain", as in rain that evaporates before it touches the ground because of the crazy high temperature. But Virga doesn't sound good in my native tongue. So when a similar name popped up in my Geography class, I was like "yup that's it!". Willow may sound like the "typical girl name", but it's really short for will-o-the-wisp, a mythical ball of light that leads lone travelers either to their demise or hidden treasures. I'm spilling the beans here but my next and last male is gonna be named after a butterfly species: Charaxes Cithaeron; Sith for short. So yeah, meaning first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Betta I always refer to a boy but for some reason I refer to one of my guppies as a female even though he is most definitely a male. I only have male livebearers so quite why I say she for this one guppy I really have no idea

I also have a habit of referring to cats as females because I have only had female cats for many years, every cat I come across gets the female tag, even my sisters beautiful male Bengal who I see all the time and has a male name, I still can`t stop myself telling him what a beautiful `girl` he is!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel sometimes people think I am unaware that my full grown betta is a male, I know he is but the character I named him after was a female. I feel like I have to preface every time I post with the clarification because people will tell me my betta is a male not a female. I also have a bearded dragon that when I got her (him) we didn't know its gender. Her name is Nova (after a supernova) and after I found out he was a male I was already stuck in my ways calling Nova a her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts