Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around the forum, but all I seem to find about food is that bettas eat a high protein diet. But does anyone know what percentages they should be eating? How much protein? How much fat? How much fiber?

My betta eats 2 pellets of Tetra Betta Plus and 1 flake of Nutrafin Max every day. He gets a Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworm about 4 times a week.

Percentage breakdown of each food:

Tetra Betta Plus- 59% of his diet
Protein=43%
Fat=10%
Fiber=2%

Nutrafin Max- 29% of his diet
Protein=46%
Fat=10%
Fiber=1.7%

Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms- 12% of his diet
Protein=50%
Fat=2%
Fiber=15%

His total food intake comes out to be 44.71% protein, 9.04% fat, and 3,47% fiber. Is this suitable? Should I look into getting foods that have different percentages?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is a good thread. I've been reading that a varied diet is what's best and that is something I'm not really providing and would like to do better with. I will not feed live foods. Hopefully an expert recommend their diet regiment...including the proper nutritional balance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only academic study I've found discusses nutrition in terms of growth. It says that 32-36% protein is best. They tested for animal and plant protein separately and found that, although 32-36% is the optimum for both, animal protein yielded more growth. Here is the study: http://cmsadmin.atp.co.il/Content_siamb/editor/55_1_James.pdf.

I wouldn't ordinarily post an article by a fish food company, but this one by NLS includes a bibliography: http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/topic/328-nutrition-article-by-pablo-tepoot/.

As the articles say, the right amount of protein is also important for water quality. Excess dietary protein gets excreted, which contributes to ammonia.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
There have been quite a few open threads lately addressing food, complete with ingredients lists and links to informative articles. Should be on the first page or two of this section.

Betta like high-protein, but anything much over 30% to 35% is more than they get in the wild.

Looking for protein counts without knowing the protein source is not helpful. Then there are the practicable considerations of what to actually feed. The best pellets easily available are New life Spectrum (Betta, small fish, semi-floating) and Omega One Betta Buffet. Northfin, if you're in Canada.

These are major upgrades from Tetra and Nutrafin. FD bloodworms are not good food. Frozen is OK for treats, but a good pellet is all they need to thrive. Variety is included in the pellet.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That's great to hear I'm not so bad after all! I started out with the Hikari and then joined the forum and quickly switched to Omega One...I do like to keep the hikari around because I feel they soak up better so if a fish needs medicated food I guess it will soak up more? Not sure my theory is right on that....

I'll order the New life and northfin on amazon for a little "variety". I did pick up elive betta granules at a LFS and it's Ok..first ingredients are Whole Anchovy meal, whole shrimp meal, but then soybean meal, wheat flour corn gluten meal...so I didn't think that was good. It has 42% protein.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts