Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion of purified drinking water and no additives for a betta tank?

I did this with my first betta, who seemed to do well with it. This was before I knew about all the additives, etc that I now put in the water.

Is there a reason NOT to go this route?

(I kept the Betta between 2002 and 2004 and rehoused him when I moved from Washington State to Oregon)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
By purified do you mean distilled or filtered with like a Brita? Honestly, I think you would be better off just using regular tap water and treating it with Prime. A betta will usually have no trouble whatsoever adapting to regular tap water treated with Prime. Two drops per gallon of Prime will also help detoxify ammonia. I've never had a problem using Philly tap water. The only additives I use are Seachem Prime and a fresh Indian almond leaf every 7-10 days.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not distilled. I was thinking just the bottled drinking water.

I don't use Prime. I use API, and it's 1/2 tsp per gallon. So, about 16 or so drops per quart. I'll look into Prime.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use filtered/purified water. Its not the bottled one or like brita. but the concept is similar. It takes water from the tap and filters it. I did use tap water at first for my betta but i didnt want to 1. try to play around with trying to match room temperature water and 2. felt like using filtered water I prefer drinking than tap would be better.
Plus it happens that my filtered water has a tad bit less pH than my tap. (that and my tap once in a while runs a light brown..harmless but suspicious xD) My bettas dont seem to have any problem with me using filtered water. but.. Just in case i still do use water conditioner (Prime specifically)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts