Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up to a purple like dust on my newly added driftwood. I looked up a few things and it seems it might be just algae from high nitrites or could it be cyanobacteria?! Can anyone tell me? And what to do?

Here's the info on the tank" New tank, no Betta yet, diatom algae appeared 48 hours after getting in all the plants, decided on 2 cute Nerite snails to feast on the diatom algae, while at the fish store with a trusted knowledgable fish girl, bought a piece of already sinking malaysian driftwood to add to tank. Came home and rinsed off driftwood in HOT water. Fish girl said I really didn't have to do anything with wood because she just put it in the tank, that appeared very clean. We did a 25% water change today and shut the lights off, which have been on an average of 6-7 hours a day….

Yestergirl :-?

·
Registered
125 Posts
you need to post a picture and some information on your tank... especially ammonia/nitrate/nitrite parameters

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello, This is normal fungus growth (unharmful to fish) that usually grows on driftwood for the first few weeks or so after adding it into your aquarium. It will naturally subside. No worries!

I had the same fungi on the driftwood that I introduced to my 40 Gal aquarium. My pleco loved the driftwood and ate the fungi and he is still loving the driftwood today! The driftwood has been in my tank for almost a year and still looks great

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have about driftwood! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ZeroChan for answering my call for help! You know I did the water change, tried to suck up the purple dust, put in the chemicals, killed the lights for the day and this morning no more purple dust. Next time though, I will post a photo and the chemical levels.

Yestergirl

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you also Susquehannadriftwood for coming to my rescue! I panicked because the tank is finally clear and then that showed up! But after doing the water change and cleaning the gravel and driftwood, all looks good this morning. Although if it does come back I will remember your answer here so I won't be too bothered by it. It actually was very pretty ;-)

Yestergirl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.