Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think he will be bothered by it (he rarely flares- not even at his reflection)? He is super sweet, but he has been in that tank by himself for 2 years and i am afraid he will be stressed because something else is in his territory, although he is smaller then most bettas and there is plenty of room in the tank. I have a lot of algae in my tank, so the snail dosent have to worry about food, plus i have algae wafers if it isn't sufficient. My ph is high, and my water very hard. So my main question, what do you think will happen? I am only planning on ONE mystery snail, thats it. Can the snail harm my betta?
For more info on Honeycomb, visit any of my posts, threads or public profiles.

Note: i have had mystery snails before(2) but they only lived for 2 weeks (i was very inexperienced in the hobby then) and i have done a lot of research since so i can say i am confident i can provide it a home and a healthy diet and environment.

Any comments or appropriate questions welcome :)

Thanks again!:lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have some blond apple snails in my tanks now. They tend to nip at their antenna, but now they crawl around with the antenna retracted... They do a pretty good job of cleaning the sides of algae. The Betta's no longer take much interest in them.

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some blond apple snails in my tanks now. They tend to nip at their antenna, but now they crawl around with the antenna retracted... They do a pretty good job of cleaning the sides of algae. The Betta's no longer take much interest in them.

Jeff.:)
Thanks Jeff,

looks like Honeycomb will have a new tank mate :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd reccomend nerite snails, they do a great job of eating algae, and are much smaller than apple/mystery snails. The snail in my avatar is my nerite, named Usain Bolt. :-]

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd reccomend nerite snails, they do a great job of eating algae, and are much smaller than apple/mystery snails. The snail in my avatar is my nerite, named Usain Bolt. :-]
Cute name Maisy! You know what i think my local petco has them for sale, but they are marked marine? Are they hardy because i have a very high ph and very hard water, and i also have been having some nitrite/nitrate issues lately, as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle(i cleaned a little too much i think). I have a 10 gallon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Cute name Maisy! You know what i think my local petco has them for sale, but they are marked marine? Are they hardy because i have a very high ph and very hard water, and i also have been having some nitrite/nitrate issues lately, as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle(i cleaned a little too much i think). I have a 10 gallon
They are freshwater, but need brackish to breed. Hard water is perfect for snails, it makes their shells stronger. ;) Mine has been alive for almost 6 months in my tanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are freshwater, but need brackish to breed. Hard water is perfect for snails, it makes their shells stronger. ;) Mine has been alive for almost 6 months in my tanks.
Perfect thanks :)

does that apply to all nerite snails or just the zebra nerite ones? (freshwater)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Zebra is just a colour pattern. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
so that means any nerite snail could work? perfect thanks Maisy :)
Yes, that I know of. Zebra is the most commonly found, and I believe they are the ones sold at Petco. I got a rarer kind at my LPS, a Ruby Spotted Nerite (Sometimes called Onion Nerite).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that I know of. Zebra is the most commonly found, and I believe they are the ones sold at Petco. I got a rarer kind at my LPS, a Ruby Spotted Nerite (Sometimes called Onion Nerite).
ooh the Ruby sounds interesting....but i think i am getting a Zebra because petco is the only one in my area that carries them :) Cant wait for the little guy, my tank has a lot of algae(when i was a beginner i put it by a window-so smart of me huh?) and i have algae tablets for him if he is a really good little cleaner :) can also give him fresh veggies once a month or so.

How often should he get the algae tablets ?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I feed mine algae tablets every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes he doesn't eat them, though.

Make sure that you have a secure lid, I've heard stories of them crawling out, mine never has, though. =)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feed mine algae tablets every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes he doesn't eat them, though.

Make sure that you have a secure lid, I've heard stories of them crawling out, mine never has, though. =)
Thanks, i do have a lid and i have a lot of algae in my tank right now, so i think i can hold off on the algae tablets for awhile, then i will give it to him 2-3 times a week. I sure hope mine dosent crawl out :shock:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Make sure to post pictures when you get him!! =)

How often are you doing water changes, and how much water is being changed? Do you have a gravel siphon?

I found that mine loves cucumber.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will post a pic! :) I do water changes once a week, and change about 25-30% of the water normally. I do have a gravel siphon, and use it with every water change by vacuuming the gravel.

Cucumber- i will put that on my list :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Awesome. That's just what you need to be doing. ;) I've heard they like spinach too, but I haven't tried it yet. ;)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have two tiger nerite snails with Teeney in my 10 Gal that I got at petco. I don't have algae problems, I just got them cos they're cute and can't reproduce in freshwater.

I put them in a betta cup with algae wafers broken into pieces about every other day and float them in the tank. I leave them in the cup until they aren't focused on the food anymore, and are just crawling around. I do this so that teeny cannot steal their food xD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts