Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd reccomend nerite snails, they do a great job of eating algae, and are much smaller than apple/mystery snails. The snail in my avatar is my nerite, named Usain Bolt. :-]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Cute name Maisy! You know what i think my local petco has them for sale, but they are marked marine? Are they hardy because i have a very high ph and very hard water, and i also have been having some nitrite/nitrate issues lately, as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle(i cleaned a little too much i think). I have a 10 gallon
They are freshwater, but need brackish to breed. Hard water is perfect for snails, it makes their shells stronger. ;) Mine has been alive for almost 6 months in my tanks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Zebra is just a colour pattern. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
so that means any nerite snail could work? perfect thanks Maisy :)
Yes, that I know of. Zebra is the most commonly found, and I believe they are the ones sold at Petco. I got a rarer kind at my LPS, a Ruby Spotted Nerite (Sometimes called Onion Nerite).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I feed mine algae tablets every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes he doesn't eat them, though.

Make sure that you have a secure lid, I've heard stories of them crawling out, mine never has, though. =)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Make sure to post pictures when you get him!! =)

How often are you doing water changes, and how much water is being changed? Do you have a gravel siphon?

I found that mine loves cucumber.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Awesome. That's just what you need to be doing. ;) I've heard they like spinach too, but I haven't tried it yet. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd stick with one if I were you, no egg clutches. :/

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd wait until Monday if I were you, just in case. ;)

They don't really hide like bettas do, snails just get on with it and explore. lol If they need to hide they have their shell. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Did you get him? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.