Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Maisy and Teeney! Gteat advice! I will either be getting him tomorrow or Friday! I am so excited! Do you think i should get one or two? I am siked!

I will try pinch and cucumbers. @MaisyDawgThirteen, glad to hear i am doing the right thing :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Thanks Maisy and Teeney! Gteat advice! I will either be getting him tomorrow or Friday! I am so excited! Do you think i should get one or two? I am siked!

I will try pinch and cucumbers. @MaisyDawgThirteen, glad to hear i am doing the right thing :)
One or two, it's your choice. Just know that if you get a male & a female, they WILL produce eggs (the eggs won't hatch though) and Ive heard from others that the eggs are annoying to clean. If you're lucky you will get two males like me :) it's very difficult to tell their gender and it took me about a month to realize mine are both males xD

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
One or two, it's your choice. Just know that if you get a male & a female, they WILL produce eggs (the eggs won't hatch though) and Ive heard from others that the eggs are annoying to clean. If you're lucky you will get two males like me :) it's very difficult to tell their gender and it took me about a month to realize mine are both males xD
Thanks Teeney, but i have heard that they can only reproduce in brackish and marine environments :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Thanks Teeney, but i have heard that they can only reproduce in brackish and marine environments :)
When it says they "cannot successfully reproduce in fresh water" it means you won't end up with babies. They make eggs no matter what water they're in but they only hatch when in brackish/salt water. :/

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When it says they "cannot successfully reproduce in fresh water" it means you won't end up with babies. They make eggs no matter what water they're in but they only hatch when in brackish/salt water. :/
Oh darn it i thought i wouldn't have snail babies :shock:

Thanks Teeney, thank goodness i didn't make that mistake:shock:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Oh darn it i thought i wouldn't have snail babies :shock:

Thanks Teeney, thank goodness i didn't make that mistake:shock:
Well you won't have babies, you will have eggs that'll never hatch xD

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd stick with one if I were you, no egg clutches. :/

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A couple more Q's.........??????

I'd stick with one if I were you, no egg clutches. :/
Perfect, just found out tomorrow i will be getting my single, (most likely Zebra) Nerite snail from petco. On friday i have to go somewhere for a couple days (i already have somebody to feed the betta, and the snail has a good amount of algae) but do you think i should hold off getting the snail until monday so i see how they are with each other? Honeycomb is way smaller then most bettas, so a 10 gallon is pretty big, so i am hoping the snail with have enough room just in case it gets picked on. I am just concerned that if it does get picked on and dies, my water could foul up very quickly and i wouldn't be there to change it.

thoughts, ideas?:-D

Thanks, everybody has been a gigantic help!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
also my tank only has 6 silk plants in there for decoration(i took out the bridge because it was rough and tore Honeycombs fins). Should i but another decoration so the Nerite snail can have a place to hide if he needs to? if i do buy a decoration, do i just was it off before adding it? Do snails acclimate just like fish?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd wait until Monday if I were you, just in case. ;)

They don't really hide like bettas do, snails just get on with it and explore. lol If they need to hide they have their shell. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Did you get him? :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.