Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the best product ever. Eveyone should get one, I had to go have my dad buy an adaptor from a plumming store. Other then that it was awesome. I love it. Water changes on large tanks done so quickly.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It hooks up to the sink and uses the suction from the water in the sink to have water drain out. It takes buckets completely out of the question. Also you flip a valve and water then goes into the tank. Just add water conditioner for the whole tank right away.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just changed the water on one of my tanks & it literally took longer to go downstairs & get the hose and hook it up than it did to remove and replace the water!

Bomba, one of my tanks is around the corner from the bathroom sink, some others are in the living room & I hook my Python up to the kitchen sink. Basically I can't see the water source from the tank. But it's not a problem the controls are such that you can leave the sink to care for the tank without getting water everywhere. Plus, they sell an extension so you can reach tanks that are further away.

Basically if I didn't have my Python I would never be able to have several 5 gallon tanks & be hoping to set up a 29 gallon.

Love it!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It works great, swishs it around for dirt and stuff but doesn't suck it out.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I love my python adapter thingy and can't imagine doing water changes without it! I don't use it on my 10 gal tanks as I have a similar situation to yours, Bomba, but it works wonders for emptying and filling my 29 gal and 50 gal. Who knew I would ever NOT hate 50% WC on a 50 gallon tank! :lol:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I use it on three 5 gallons and my 3.5 gallon and yeah, it takes a bit of practice and finesse, but it's *completely* possible!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I love love love love mine. It's not a python but it's the Aqueon version. Seriously everyone needs one of these or a similar product for tanks over 10 gallons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Aqueon water changer, it's the same thing as a Python. They're really made for larger tanks, I'd be afraid to use it on anything that is too small. I use one on my goldfish tank and it makes water changes amazingly easy. I have gravel with my goldfish, but I think it'd be fine with a sand substrate as long as you kept the siphon an inch or so above the sand. You do need to keep an eye on what you're doing when you vacuum though, it wouldn't be difficult to accidently suck up a small fish...or even a big one for that matter. It empties into the sink, so if they managed to fit through the narrow openings at the end, down the drain they'd go. I did accidently suck up one of my goldfish once, he got stuck where the hose part connects to the siphon. He ended up alright, but it was still traumatic for both of us lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh, smaller tanks are possible because the rate of water removal and replacement is controllable by how high you turn on the sink fawcett.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Oh, smaller tanks are possible because the rate of water removal and replacement is controllable by how high you turn on the sink fawcett.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not exactly. It's controlled more by the difference in height between the tank and where the hose is being drained. I've tested this. I can get my 55 gal goldfish tank started without the use of the sink faucet, and the water flow is faster when I do it this way. I have used the sink faucet once or twice to test it, and the flow was slower because the sink is higher than my bathtub drain.

You guys must have a smaller diameter siphon than I do because it could easily suck up a fish if I'm not there to hold it. I have the siphon rated for 100 gal tanks. It's physically taller than my 10 gal tanks. I use a smaller siphon there because I don't want to destroy my plants or fish.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, you must have the larger one Izzy.

I love it and can't wait to use it more. XD I plan to refill an empty ten gallon tomorrow with it.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I use pantyhose over the end. No sucking up fish here.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, that's a really great idea Dom!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok, sorry. I've always just controlled it by adjusting the fawcett.

I do watch to keep the house away from my fish and shrimp but haven't sucked anyone up yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
416 Posts
Something like this would be great.....except we are currently having high nitrates in our well water.....and I have to buy bottled water for my boys to have a chance at a happy life.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts