Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya. I will be going to get some new plants in a few days and I was wondering if I need to QT them. I was thinking java moss and maybe subwassertang or anubias. And if I have to QT, then should I use dechlorinated water?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You should always QT new plants/fish/snails/shrimps anything alive that you're going to put in your tank so if they are carrying anything QTing will make it so they won't pass it on to the livestock you have in your tank already.

I think it's safe to use chlorinated water AKA water you get from your tap but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should always QT new plants/fish/snails/shrimps anything alive that you're going to put in your tank so if they are carrying anything QTing will make it so they won't pass it on to the livestock you have in your tank already.

I think it's safe to use chlorinated water AKA water you get from your tap but I might be wrong.
That makes perfectly good sense. Thanks

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Usually about 1-3 weeks with no content with other livestock. Other than snails. I don't believe that snails can form diseases lethal to fish while in quarentine, they can carry them, yet not produce and get infected by them

I would also use a good quality dechlorinator when Quarentining plants as there is more than just chlorines in Tap water. Heavy metals, sometimes ammonia, chloramines, etc. are in tap too. I have found lots of plants particularly sensitive to tap water, especially heavy metals

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.