Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, because I'm getting a Betta I've been doing research on them (and bugging everyone here, like I am now) and I started researching Betta illnesses and stuff. I read something that says you need to get a quarantine tank if you have a tank bigger then 2.5 gals and/or if it shares a tank with other creatures. I'm getting a 3 gal tank (with all the stuff like the filter and gravel it will probably hold 2 gallons or so) but I'm kinda low on funds and don't want to buy a smaller quarantine tank if I don't have to. Do I have to get one? Or will his tank work cause it isn't a shared tank and cause it isn't huge.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I don't recall if you had your tank planted or not, but either way, for now you could put him in once you get him and treat him in that tank should (knock on wood) there be any issues. You will eventually want to look into getting a quarantine tank moreso once your tank cycles and you get it planted out.

Also, having a small tank with a bare floor helps you monitor his progress and perform 100% water changes for his meds without disrupting your plants or your cycle. What happens a lot of times is that people will upgrade their tank and their 'starter tank' becomes their QT.

You could always just get a small kritter keeper (they're about $10) and use that as a QT, it doesn't have to be fancy.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
a 3 gallon is fine to use as a QT tank.

however, if you do cycle your tank or have it planted with live plants you will need to find a QT tank. (I got away with treating my fish in a cycled tank without a QT tank by removing the filter media and putting it in a bucket of old tank water and feeding it pure ammonia but not everyone can do that).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.