Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am familiar with the concept of quarantine, but how long should you keep new fish/plants separate before adding them into the main tank? When should you quarantine for a long period, and when would it be okay to introduce them after a few days? I have a 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon tank that I could use as a QT, but what is the best way to set up a tank (esp. if I were to get 3 ADF)? I would really like to hear your experiences, since I haven't seen a concrete answer for how long a quarantine can last.

Thanks all for your support and guidance!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
QT can last from 2 weeks to 2 months, it just depends on your threshold of tolerance for risk. I have a very low risk threshold tolerance when it comes to my pets, so I do a thorough quarantine of 2 months. I'm pretty paranoid though, lol. It's worked well for me so far since I only have bettas. I do have divided tanks, but they're still betta only.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I quarantine for 4 weeks/1 month. A 2.5 gallon tank should be a good quarantine tank for 3 ADF. :) For qt I recommend simple: bare bottom and artificial plants.

·
Registered
908 Posts
For me it depends where i got the critter from, for me stuff from Pet(co or smart) gets QT'd for a month, but my tiny LFS is immaculate so I feel comfortable with a short one. And I don't QT plants, not sure if you're supposed to or not but I've never had an issue (and I like snails).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
One thing that a lot of people miss when quarantining: Don't use the same equipment (nets, cups, thermometers, etc.) in the your main tank and your qt, unless it's been sanitized in between. A single droplet of water can transfer disease.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yep making sure you have different equipment.

I usually QT for a month/4 weeks. However, if the fish looks sickly I might QT for longer.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quar procedure & duration is all up to how much risk you're willing to take. I'm not into taking any risk with my setup; 4 weeks from a breeder I know, who's setup I've seen, and procedures I'm familiar with. 8 weeks or more from an unknown source. I don't let fish from a shop into my house.

Most of what I get in comes from breeders I know, I'll keep in contact with them on a regular basis. I'll tank their fish in my fishroom, separate gear used for those fish. For a quar of fish from an unknown source I'll set up tanks outside the fishroom, I've got a nice collection of old sturdy furniture for holding those tanks.

I've seen a 100 tank fishroom get wiped out in a week due to a shoddy quar, 10k+ angels gone in a week. Anyone involved in this on a larger scale has either had a fishroom wipeout, or is waiting for it to happen. I'm waiting, and hopefully will continue to wait.

Steve at Angels Plus has what is most likely the most bio secure setup out there. He's got a proprietary method for sterilizing spawns, something he's quite tight lipped about. He's got a nice article on quar procedure here; http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleQuarantine.htm

·
Registered
778 Posts
Steve at Angels Plus has what is most likely the most bio secure setup out there. He's got a proprietary method for sterilizing spawns, something he's quite tight lipped about. He's got a nice article on quar procedure here; http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleQuarantine.htm
:shock: :shock: :shock: Holy @&$%. I'm impressed. That article by Steve is one of the few outside of actual BSL-rated research that really *GETS* biosecurity. Containment is the golden rule: you can have the best sterilization/handling techniques in the world, but you will get completely screwed if you don't minimize what goes in and what comes out of each level of containment. I'll buy his fish all day long, if that's the level of precaution he takes!

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to protecting your breeding stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts