Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate and I went on a PetCo run to pick up another Anubis. To my dismay, a good number of the stock had a disease of some kind: two had white fuzzy fungal patches, one had severe ich (a very pretty copper CT female) and a rather frazzled-looking multi-color VT had lymphocytosis. We brought it up to the head aquatics person, and she took their cups into the backroom for treatment. Knowing what lympho is and that it can't be cured, I brought this up to her. I asked her what she was planning on doing with the VT, and she said that they'd treat with Melafix (NOT a good idea) and that "after treatment if he survives and looks better they'd put him back on the shelf". What riles me is that she KNOWS lympho cannot be cured and yet she plans on dumping Melafix in. The manager knows that Melafix is a bad medication, but didn't talk to the aquatics person.
I was a bit infuriated, to say the least. Sherlock, my late first betta, had lympho and it is quite a manageable condition with proper care. I asked if I could get a discount, and they agreed. He is in a medium KK for now with an unadjustable 7.5 watt heater. Not the best, but it will do until I can get my faulty Aqueon 50 watt replaced and switch heaters around to suit my tanks. His name is Quasimodo, as I feel that fits him quite well. I am honestly not expecting Quasimodo to be around all that long, but at least he will be comfortable and well taken care of. I couldn't stomach hearing the aquatics person talk about him like he was disposable. Here he is, in all of his battered glory.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! He flared at me this morning...at least he's getting more active! I'm very disappointed with the heater in his tank... I'll never buy from Aqueon again. One of my other heaters (a 25 watt Hydor) is having a hard time holding a steady temp in my 2.5 gallon, so I ordered a 50 watt. When that gets here (Saturday) Quasi will get the 25 watt. Temp dropped overnight and it finally feels like the Wisconsin winters I've come to love/hate.
He is cute, in a homely kind of way.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, Aqueon is crap lol Some of there stuff is ok, but anything that you plug in, I stay away from.
And thank you! Ive had horses since I was little and been showing/training for years and just got her sept 2014 out of a kill pen...She was about 13 and not really handled. She has made leaps and bounds with my training and she showed all last summer :) She jumps better then some horses I've owned! hahah I have another mule from the kill pen as well, he is only 4 and I'm just getting own him, walking and trotting. They are 100 times cooler than horses! I'm only owning mules of now on :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.