Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m a new fish keeper and have recently bought very deeply into the hobby. I quickly jumped from a 1 gallon bowl for my
Betta, researched it. Realized that was way to small. Bought a 6.5 gallon tank, and a month later I just went ahead and sent it and bought a 55 gallon tank. So here’s my question. I have one female betta her name is Ella. She’s excellent, so she has a few tank mates but I thought I could get away with over stocking my 6.5 gallon tank with 2 extra harlequin raspboras. There were 8 fish in total including my betta. All very small fish, (and yes I know the rule about an inch per gallon.) quickly learned my lesson and used it as an excuse to buy a bigger tank so that I could also do some aquascaping and have a very fengashui tank. Anyways I decided to get my tank setup, it’s not all the way completed, I’m waiting on plants and other decorations that I ordered to arrive. But in the mean time. I decided to move my betta to the new 55 gallon tank. In order to alleviate some pressure on the 6.5 gallon. And since she was the hardiest fish I decided she was the best choice. So I’m wanting to know if it’s possible that she is depressed? Typing it out it feels like a silly question to ask others but I want to make sure she’s happy. She just hasn’t swam around as much, I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve changed her environment (and her world just got a whole lot bigger.) or what’s going on. I know that bettas are solitary animals but I’m not sure if she was ok being use to being part of a community, and now being by herself has made her sad? Anyways any extra advice would be appreciated. Such as is it ok to aquascape with her in the tank? Lastly
I will say this. She is and will be the most “aggressive” fish I own in this new tank. I like the community schooling fish because they are relaxing to watch. And Ella is, well she’s just Ella. To me the others are kind of just some colorful fish. But Ella really has my heart.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Are there any plants or places for her to attain shade? Very few fish are open-tank; this is especially true of Betta. They do best in tanks planted so well you can't easily see your fish at a glance.

If there are not many plants then she is most likely frightened. It is my theory that open tanks make them feel vulnerable; especially to birds. But, that's just my theory so take it for what it's worth.

A 55 is a great size. When I had the room, I loved mine. But, Ella is most likely going to be most comfortable in a well-planted six gallon than an open 55.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, that makes sense. The 6.5 gallon was well planted and I had a few nooks and crannies for her and the other fish to hide. But the new tank however is still a work in progress. I threw in the old tanks piece of drift wood in order to introduce good bacteria in the newer tank. I also gave her a swuidward house because I’ve always wanted some spongebob decorations for my tank. So no not a lot of places for her to hide at the moment. See I thought that the more room she had the happier she would be, because she could swim and let her fins do what they do best. So should I move her back into the old tank? Or would that be to much stress? She’s only been in the new tank for 2 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.