Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a wire top for my 5 gallon tanks that I coated with a waterproof finish. It looks like it is still rusting and some of it got into the water. My tanks are a Natural planted tanks and cycled. Will my bettas be okay with some of the rust in the water until my next water change this Sunday or should I do a water change sooner than later?

Thanks,
Tree

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I think they will be ok but make sure not to let any more rust fall in. (I'm assuming your small amount is less than 1/4teaspoon)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they will be ok but make sure not to let any more rust fall in. (I'm assuming your small amount is less than 1/4teaspoon)
Thanks! =)

yeah I took off the screen and placed my home made acrylic top back over the tanks. I wanna try to make a sliding glass to for my 5 gallons but it might be too hard cause of the size. =/ I might have to just stick with the plastic. lol

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
I used waterproof sealant on mine but you have to make sure it's absolutely dry when you apply it and to get every teeny, tiny spot.

I sprayed and let my screen top dry for two days before I started using it. Been four months and no rust.

If it already had rust you'd need to use a wire brush to get rid of the rust, rinse and dry before applying sealant. If there are any flakes left the sealant won't adhere properly .... learned through trial and error. :-(

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used waterproof sealant on mine but you have to make sure it's absolutely dry when you apply it and to get every teeny, tiny spot.

I sprayed and let my screen top dry for two days before I started using it. Been four months and no rust.

If it already had rust you'd need to use a wire brush to get rid of the rust, rinse and dry before applying sealant. If there are any flakes left the sealant won't adhere properly .... learned through trial and error. :-(
thanks I will try again. =) I did wait 24 hours like the directions said, but maybe it was still too soon for being used for a screen top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.