Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 10gal tank and a divider. My 2 boys will be able to see each other. My concern is if they see each other will they flare to much ? I really need advice. Will 1 50 watt heater and 1 filter do both sides ok? I may have to leave the filter off because they did not like the filter in their 3 gal tank. This is ok right? I will be doing my water changes. Just trying to make them happy...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If your two boys are in constant sight of each other this can and usually does cause problems. Place a lot of decor along the divider (big leafy plants --real or fake-- are great). This will break up their line of sight and will let them "get away" from the other betta.

As far as the heater and filter, the heater should work fine. I have 50w heaters in my 10 gal divided tanks, and they do great. You are going to need to run the filter, tho. The filter provides surface area for the beneficial bacteria that support a cycle. If you haven't read about cycles you can here: A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle (You should also have a water quality test kit.) If your boys don't like the strong flow of the filter, you should use a baffle. This thread will show you how to make one: Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
@thekoimaiden
I'm surprised you didn't suggest a double divider with the heater and filter between them, and all the advantages that confers: equalizing the heat; cutting the outflow current; less visibility between sides; harder to jump.

Surprised, because I thought you and I (among few others) were the foremost practitioners of that technique around here. ;-}

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 10gal divided, with solid white craft mesh so they cannot see eachother. Heater and filter are on the same side, (an airstone on the other side for some current and oxygen) maybe that's not ideal, but it hasnt killed my fish in two years!

Question for Hallyx: do you suggest putting the heater on opposite side? The reason I put it on the filter side is because I read somewhere its best to have it near the filter outflow to disperse the heat with the current.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
@Hallyx lol! I guess I'm getting a reputation around here: The Divided Tank Defender (my betta superhero name lol!!)

Newton, some people will put the heater and the filter adjacent to each other, but I don't. It just takes up too much room. I have them on opposite sides of the aquarium. There are a few variations to the double-divider method.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck unless you plan to paint the divider. I had to take one of mine out and paint the divider black so they can't see each other. Had so many plants along the divider it looked like a forest and they were still finding places to flare at each other through it. Pretty to see, but not 24/7 like mine were doing. I used the Krylon Fusion paint for plastic to give it a nice even coat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I just got lucky. Poncho is not paying any attenion to the other betta Cisco. Cisco will flare once in awhile but nothing like 24/7 would be. They seem happy and do not hang at the divider. Their biggest thing is going to top of tank when they see me for food...lol. I hand feed them. I am glad they can coexist. thank you for suggestions...:-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.