Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question/Poll for the forum,
How do your fish sleep/rest?
Do they sleep on the bottom of the tank, or closer to the top?
Or even right at the water line resting in plants?
Does anyone have fish who seem, well, grumpy in the mornings?

One of mine won't eat first thing, and he stays in the bottom of his tank, hiding out. Couple hours later he seems to be more awake, swimming around, and is ready for food. Similiar experiences? :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ha - I had the opposite - I definitely had one betta who was a "morning fish" - he would be very happy and energetic all morning, ready to eat first thing, and then kind of slowed down over the course of the day and eventually flopped onto his side to rest at the surface (he had chronic SBD which accounts for this unique style of resting...)

Of our current bettas, one likes to rest among the flowers of a silk plant and the other I have to say I have never actually caught resting so he must do it when I'm asleep!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My little buddy likes to rest in his taller of two plants, and sits half an inch or so below the surface. He's a napper, from what I've seen. Up most of the night, just as well as during the day.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Zoro like to stay right at the front of the tank at the bottom. that way, if there is noise, he can investigate immediately LOL. Blue Fish, my betta is just like your betta!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have a very active Morning fish..mostly becuz when I get up in the morn to get ready for work..hes very aware of our movements..and..wakes right up ready for breakfast..lol..then I dont see him again till 6 @night..so unsure when he sleeps..when I have caught him tho I find him in his Amazon Sword..and tall Red Silk plant..or his new hiding cave..the first time I saw him resting on the leavrs of the plant..I swear it had to be the cutest thing I eva saw..:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
My female sleeps at the very, very top. Her dorsal fin sticks out of the water a bit. (You'd be surprised if you knew how many times I woke up in the middle of the night and kind of saw her floating, screamed, and woke her up. Needless to say, she is NOT happy with me after these episodes.) She's hyper no matter what time of day it is. She never stops swimming unless she's asleep.

My male betta sleeps closer to the bottom, with his bottom fins just a few millimeters off of the rocks on the bottom. He doesn't like to be woken up and kind of glares at me when I wake him up in the morning getting dressed. He's just a cranky old man. :p

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Buddha sleeps at the top of the tank now, but he used to sleep underneath his turtle statue. Sometimes I find him wedged in the grass, hiding I guess.

And he goes to sleep as soon as the light goes off in the room (around 6/7) and sleeps until early morning. So when I get up, he's been up for awhile already.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine is extremely grumpy in the early morning, which is odd, because he turns in early like clockwork at 11pm and sleeps through the entire night. He wakes up before me though, right when the sun rises. His favourite spots are on the filter intake or in his cave.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine love the live plants I've put in their tanks for the most part. The ones who have ****worts in their tank can be caught hanging out in them.

One prefers the leaf hammock in his tank.

Given that it took approximately 30 seconds from introduction to occupancy, I think Chicory is liking the betta log I got him.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
On top of the thermometer or in his plant...hehe he's an allday fish, he wakes me up everyday at 6:00 by throwing himself into the lid of his tank which after due consideration now has a paperweight on it to stop him knocking it off as he has started doing, I feed him if I'm in a good mood, go back to bed, go see him in the afternoon, play with him, feed him on a nighttime when he is STILL throwing himself at the lid for food...and then I go to bed and he takes about an hour to settle down!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! I love it...he's quite an insistant little man! ;)
My horse is like that...she'll paw the door, kick the walls, knicker, baning around her water buckets, just make any sort of racket she can to "make the food come faster." ;)

So what do you feed him that he loves so much? I may have to invest in it! ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dumbledore must sleep during the afternoon while I'm at work or at night when I do. I turn his lamp off at about 11pm and turn it back on between 7:30-8am and he's awake, begging to be fed. However I do see him inside his log from time to time, always facing out so he can see if it's time to be fed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Spazzy, my VT, usually sleeps either in his floating log or in the middle of one of his silk plants.

Cigano, my giant roundtail, (who also has a floating log) prefers to sleep under his bridge, which is on top of his tree stump, and has done so since the day I got him.

I just checked on Boo, the baby CT and current resident of the fishpital, and he was conked out against the thermometer behind the filter. I think tomorrow morning I'll move his leaf hammock over there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rosso rests in his temple which is closer to the bottom of the tank. I don't really see Poseidon resting that much since he's such an active guy. I have caught both of them napping on their betta hammocks, but I really think they prefer their decorations. Both of my guys seem to be morning bettas, too. They're either up and about when I go in to feed or waiting for me to shake the food container.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sky sleeps behind/in his huge wisteria bush or tangles himself up in a grass hammock close to the bottom to sleep. He rests on his leaf hammock, but never *sleeps* there, haha. He's always up and ready to eat when I walk out in the morning, no matter how early it is. He's energetic. :p

·
Registered
216 Posts
How do your fish sleep/rest?
Do they sleep on the bottom of the tank, or closer to the top?
Or even right at the water line resting in plants?
I have one that likes to rest at the bottom of his tank, kind of underneath his plants, but the other usually will rest at the top of his tank, usually near the front of the tank away from the heater and filter and most of the plants.

Does anyone have fish who seem, well, grumpy in the mornings?
No, mine are more grumpy in the evenings! When I get up in the morning I always check on them first thing and they get all excited to see me.

PS. I've had a fish once who like to sleep wedged between the corner of the tank and the thermometer. It always kind of freaked me out because it was so tight in that corner, his face would be pressed against the side of the tank and I'd get scared he was stuck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Indy likes to pretend that he is a dead fish when he's asleep x.x
He either sleeps right at the top of the water (sometimes on top of the thermometer) or at the bottom under his bridge or behind his plants.
The thing is, he's a HEAVY sleeper. The first night I had him I seriously thought he was dead because he doesn't even wake up when you tap the glass or take the top of the aquarium off! After some initial worry about this sleeping habit, I figure it's just the way he is xD.
He sure does scare me sometimes, though. Prankster <___<.
Also, he's not grumpy in the mornings (probably because he knows he gets food then!)... but he does get mad if you wake him up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My VT will go into his house at the bottom of the tank when the lights go out, when I turn on the lights late at night and wake him up he will flare at me until they go out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.