Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We left our house for a few hours yesterday. When we came back Moloka'i had build two large bubble nests. Our female was just hiding in the corner and the male was vigorously guarding his nest. Even from me. The next day the female swam by and broke part of the nest on accident, he flipped out and chased her away. He then picked up every single bubble lost and brought it back to the nest. Do you think they laid eggs in those bubbles? It's hard to tell because he guards the nest so well and I don't want to pop any bubbles?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Turn off the tank lights and use a flashlight to look at the bubbles from underneath, you should see white dots inside bubbles if there are eggs. Fingers crossed for you! Wooo!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it’s an open bubble nest that he built on the surface of the water and not under anything you might be able to see them from the top. Just be careful not to create a breeze that will pop the bubbles. Sometimes just me opening the tank lid to feed my boys pops their bubbles.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
From what I understand, males will usually chase the female away once the eggs are laid. So if he's not showing any "flirting" interest in her anymore I'd take her out, to prevent her from getting hurt. If need be you can just give them a rest and try again in a week or two if it turns out there weren't any eggs this time.

Can you shine a flashlight through the side of the tank to look for eggs that way? They're tiny so if you can't get a clear look you may just have to hope for the best and wait to see the fry once they've hatched in a day or two... Or not, if there weren't any eggs in the first place.

Also, I encourage you to please start a "spawn log" thread sometime soon! I love reading them to see people's fry as they grow up... and they can be very helpful for you too, to keep track of what is going on day-to-day. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Males will also chase a female that is unwilling to breed and the male will get overly frustrated and aggressive. Females will also break a bubble nest if they don’t like it. Also keep in mind virgins take a bit to figure things out. Good luck guys I’m rooting for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Can you take a picture of the nest. We might be able to help you identify eggs.

I don't use anything floating for the nest. Instead, I cover the top where I want them to nest. It's easier to see eggs. I'll take a picture later on, to show you what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
I don't think I see eggs. Sorry
They are usually tiny milk white dot like objects grouped into one clutch. Some of which are usually pushed up and are visible. But sometimes, they remain under the nest, especially if the nest is quite thick.

Since you're not using any floating objects for the nest, I won't post my set up.

·
Registered
593 Posts
After my bettas spawned, the father was still creating more bubbles until the eggs started hatching and he needed to retrieve them back to the water surface. So he really never stopped tending the nest/eggs. The mother was on the other end of the spawning tank by herself.
At first, the eggs dropped slowly during their wraps - I remember counting 1, 2, 3, 3, 6, 3, etc. Each time mama dropped some eggs.
Hope this helps, fingers crossed for you guys. ✌

·
Registered
277 Posts
I managed to get a pic of my guys bubble nest yesterday. I couldn’t see any eggs when the tank light was on. That’s why I suggested a flashlight. I used my phone flashlight lol. I circled the part of the nest with eggs... if you zoom in you can see the little white dots. I don’t know if you’ve seen pictures of eggs before so I thought I’d post just in case. It’s hard to tell sometimes. If he had had the time before I checked on him He would have covered those with more bubbles and I’m not sure my camera would be able to focus on them. When I checked before bed I couldn’t see any eggs in his nest at all because he re arranged the nest after I peeked in there. I have my tank sides covered with paper because this particular male is very territorial.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
As long as your male isn't viscous, it should be alright. But don't leave them together for too long. If female is not in breeding mode, male may lose interest in spawning - sometimes harder to recondition

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, she is more attentive now. The old nest is gone but he is making a new one. The only problem is that there is a smaller tank with another male in it next to the breeding tank, she likes flirting with both of them.

I hope something happens soon. I will give them 2 days.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took her out, she is a real mean one. She beats up Moloka'i and his fins. I took her out and put her with the lazy male, I think they will just live together forever because they hardly notice each other. Even in a 3.5 gallon tank!

I am hoping to get Moloka'i a real woman, soon......

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I really hope that was a joke about keeping the male & female together. Except for the period of time it takes to spawn, bettas should never be in the same tank, because even if they seem to ignore one another it will not end well.

(If it was a joke I apologize, it's hard to tell tone through the internet sometimes)

And did you give the female a rest to recondition her, or just put her straight in with another male? Even if she seems the "aggressive" one, betta courtship is a stressful process. Since you have had her in with males since at least three days ago (going by the dates on your posts), I would recommend putting her into her own tank to have a break for a while. Trying to constantly spawn a fish without break can be very hard on them and injure their health now or for the future, as well as make them less eager to spawn than they were at first anyway.

Also, even if they didn't spawn the first time, you don't necessarily need to give up on the pairing. Take a week or two to recondition, and introduce them again. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts before you get a viable batch of eggs, particularly for virgin fish who may not quite know how to follow their instincts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts