Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 cats, 4 goldfish, 10 minnows, a dojo loach, 3 corys, a gecko, 5 bettas, 2 mollies, & a RL pleco
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed this happened to one of my bettas in my 20 gallon sorority, this sounds gross but she looked like she had kind of exploded.... I didn’t think too much of it but I still didn’t know what it was. Then a couple days after that it happened again with another betta, and unfortunately she died. I did some research and it I saw many places saying that it could be an internal parasite or worms, and I heard somewhere else it could be aggression. Has anyone here experienced this or know what it could be? I have 2 bettas that survived, I separated them and one is still in the tank while the other is in a (heated and filtered) 5 gallon bucket. The one in the bucket is acting normal but the one in the tank is pretty lethargic, or at least more than normal. There’s a very small bit of ammonia, but only a tiny bit, and I’m gunna get rid of it with a water change later. Please help me figure out what this is.

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
Hi! Sorry to hear about your girls. Could you please fill out this form and add photos if you can. Thank!

·
Registered
2 cats, 4 goldfish, 10 minnows, a dojo loach, 3 corys, a gecko, 5 bettas, 2 mollies, & a RL pleco
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? It’s a 20 gallon long
Does it have a filter? It has a 30 gallon bio wheel
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but the filter makes a lot, like a lot of surface movement
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 3 small albino corys, a 1.5 inch rubber lip pleco (I know the tank is small for him, when he gets larger he’s getting a 40 gallon), and a small molly

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one, fluval, API, tetra, top fin, and hakari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? I feed freeze dried bloodworms a couple times a week
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? For flakes, since it’s a community, I feed about every day, and I give the betta a specific betta food and try to put it above their heads, I feed every morning

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? About once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 40-50%
What is the source of your water? Just the tap (but ofc I use water conditione)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I use the API tap water conditioner, the only other thing I add is the API leaf zone plant fertilizer

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: .5 - .10 (with the test kit it’s kinda hard to tell the exact color, but I will do a water change later to get rid of it)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 8 (I usually add indian almond leaves but haven’t added one for awhile
Hardness (GH): I don’t have a test kit to test hardness, but I used to before I ran out, but I do know my water is very hard
Alkalinity (KH): I don’t have a test kit for KH

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? On the first betta I noticed about 4-5 days ago, I forget the exact day, the second betta I noticed it on it was 3 days ago, and the other betta that’s lethargic has been for 2-3 days, but isn’t showing any other symtoms
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? One has somewhat droopy fins, but their color has not gotten duller or anything
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? One is being lethargic, one is acting normal (they’re separated in different tanks) and before the other two died they were not moving barely any and were sitting at the bottom
Is your Betta still eating? They both are still eating
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Aquarium salt, and melafix, pimafix, and a parasite remedy, I do know most of those aren’t very good but it’s all I have atm (if I figure out what’s wrong I can order more meds)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? They have never been sick before
How long have you owned your Betta? The ones that died and the one that’s lethargic, I got them in September 2020, the other thats acting normal I got in November 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oops I’m so sorry I forgot about the pic lol, this is the second betta that died a couple days ago

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
Hey there-thanks for filling out the form. I am trying to determine what this is. Do you think you could list each of their symptoms like this?

Betta #1
-Symptom
-Symptom
-Picture

Betta #2
-Symptom
-Symptom
-Picture

Betta #3
-Symptom
-Symptom
-Picture

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
Yes the above would be helpful.
Also the .5-1 ammonia is a problem. Can you do a series of small water changes over the day? 3-4 25% water changes every 4-6 hrs to get it down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I can do those water changes

Betta #1 (this one died)
-She had ripped fins and this sounds gross but she had like skin torn off her
-She was very lethargic

Betta #2 (this one is not dead)
-Droopy fins, she looks really tired
, but her appetite has not changed
-More lethargic then normal

Betta #3 (this one is also not dead)
-She does not have any symptoms, she’s acting completely normal (She and the other betta are separated just in case)
For the photo of her I turned the sponge filter off, and she’s in a heated and filtered 5 gallon bucket so that’s why she’s in a net in the pic

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
So there are many things this may be, and without clinical testing it can be impossible to figure out what disease it is.

Here are some possibilities
Columnaris (lesions-does it look fuzzy in color or yellow at all? those are all symptoms)
Septicemia (unlikely as lesions and lethargy are the only symptoms and septicemia normally shows more than 2)
Ichthyosporidium-Internal fungal infection which may explain the "bursting" and sluggishness.

All in all, I would treat the entire tank (affected fish and those not showing symptoms) with Kanaplex. Let me know how they progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your help. I don’t have kanaplex at the moment but I can order it, is there anything I can treat it with in the meantime, like aquarium salt? I also have melafix, pimafix, and a couple other things for ich, parasites, and worms, but I know those meds aren’t very good and don’t work too well. But can aquarium salt work until the kanaplex gets here?

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
234 Posts
Thank you for your help. I don’t have kanaplex at the moment but I can order it, is there anything I can treat it with in the meantime, like aquarium salt? I also have melafix, pimafix, and a couple other things for ich, parasites, and worms, but I know those meds aren’t very good and don’t work too well. But can aquarium salt work until the kanaplex gets here?
Aquarium salt works for external injuries, epsom is internal injuries. You can dose with either. So it’s up to you which one you use. I don’t think you should use them both at the same time but someone else could probably help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aquarium salt works for external injuries, epsom is internal injuries. You can dose with either. So it’s up to you which one you use. I don’t think you should use them both at the same time but someone else could probably help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, thank you. Ill dose with salt until Kanaplex gets here

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I would do plain aquarium salt for those with visible wounds and fungus and epsom salt for those that are bloated. Not both though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would do plain aquarium salt for those with visible wounds and fungus and epsom salt for those that are bloated. Not both though.
Ok, thank you. I don’t have epsom salt right now just plain aquarium salt, but neither of them look in any danger of getting it whatever it is, since the only one that was lethargic is starting to act more normal, but I’ll treat with kanaplex whenever it gets here.
Thanks everyone for the help :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts