Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm new to this website, but this isn't my first Betta. However, it has been a while since I've had one, so I have some questions.

First, I'll tell you a little bit about him, I got him four days ago as an early birthday present from my aunt, he's a purple, pink and blue crowntail and he lives in a 3 litre (I'm not sure what that is in gallons) half-moon habitat.
He seems to like his tank, so I'm not too worried there. He swims around and flares at my finger when I press it against the glass.
I've named him Balthazar, after one of my favourite characters in Supernatural.

So, my questions are:
1. How do I find out a feeding routine that works for him? I have Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, and he eats them, but he always spits them out and tries to catch them again. I read that this is him trying to soften the pellets, but sometimes he doesn't catch them before they fall to the bottom and he won't touch them once they're there. I'm starting today with trying to presoak them to see if that helps any, but I'm worried that with me only putting two pellets in the tank per feeding if he's actually getting enough food. I also intend to buy some freeze dried bloodworms as soon as I have a chance to get down to the pet store, so if you're going to comment on the lack of variety in my Betta's diet please note that I'm working on it.

2. I intend to do a water change once a week because of the size of his tank, and I also intend to fast him one day a week. I was wondering if it would be okay to have those occur on the same day, or would the stress of the water change AND no food be a little too much for him?

3. A lot of people seem to be saying they remove uneaten food from their fish tanks, and I've tried this, but he doesn't seem to like my whole hand in there. (I don't have a net or anything.) I was wondering how most people remove food from the bottom of the tank?

4. Are there any games people play with their bettas that I could try? He seems really smart, and I feel a little bad that I have to leave him for most of the day to go to class and everything. I don't want him to be bored all the time, plus I think it could be fun. So are there any fun little games you guys play? And how would I go about teaching these games to Balthazar?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi!
I'm new to this website, but this isn't my first Betta. However, it has been a while since I've had one, so I have some questions.

First, I'll tell you a little bit about him, I got him four days ago as an early birthday present from my aunt, he's a purple, pink and blue crowntail and he lives in a 3 litre (I'm not sure what that is in gallons) half-moon habitat.
He seems to like his tank, so I'm not too worried there. He swims around and flares at my finger when I press it against the glass.
I've named him Balthazar, after one of my favourite characters in Supernatural.

So, my questions are:
1. How do I find out a feeding routine that works for him? I have Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, and he eats them, but he always spits them out and tries to catch them again. I read that this is him trying to soften the pellets, but sometimes he doesn't catch them before they fall to the bottom and he won't touch them once they're there. I'm starting today with trying to presoak them to see if that helps any, but I'm worried that with me only putting two pellets in the tank per feeding if he's actually getting enough food. I also intend to buy some freeze dried bloodworms as soon as I have a chance to get down to the pet store, so if you're going to comment on the lack of variety in my Betta's diet please note that I'm working on it.

2. I intend to do a water change once a week because of the size of his tank, and I also intend to fast him one day a week. I was wondering if it would be okay to have those occur on the same day, or would the stress of the water change AND no food be a little too much for him?

3. A lot of people seem to be saying they remove uneaten food from their fish tanks, and I've tried this, but he doesn't seem to like my whole hand in there. (I don't have a net or anything.) I was wondering how most people remove food from the bottom of the tank?

4. Are there any games people play with their bettas that I could try? He seems really smart, and I feel a little bad that I have to leave him for most of the day to go to class and everything. I don't want him to be bored all the time, plus I think it could be fun. So are there any fun little games you guys play? And how would I go about teaching these games to Balthazar?
Crush the pellets until he's big enough to eat a pellet. Because of the size of his tank, you need to do daily water changes. You need to understand the nitrogen cycle and it will show the importance of cycling and water changes. Basics- Fish exhale and excrete ammonia and ammonia will kill your fish.
Get a gravel vac or just a siphon hose and use it to suck the muck from the tanks bottom. This can also be used to change water.
A gallon is 3.8 liters.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crush the pellets until he's big enough to eat a pellet. Because of the size of his tank, you need to do daily water changes. You need to understand the nitrogen cycle and it will show the importance of cycling and water changes. Basics- Fish exhale and excrete ammonia and ammonia will kill your fish.
Get a gravel vac or just a siphon hose and use it to suck the muck from the tanks bottom. This can also be used to change water.
A gallon is 3.8 liters.
Unfortunately, daily water changes aren't really an option for me. I have a pretty heavy school schedule and in just the first couple of weeks of school I've been averaging on three-four hours of homework a day.
Perhaps if I tried every other day or every third? I also don't want to stress him out by constantly taking him out of his tank and putting him back, since when I brought him home he seemed to not appreciate the constant environmental changes (from the petstore bowl to the bag to the tank, I did do my best to acclimate him first though so there wasn't any shock with the temperature.)
If 1 gallon is 3.8 litres, then I don't even have him in a full gallon... I kind of feel bad for that. I know I have a small 3 gallon tank at my parents' house, but they live 6 hours away from me so it'll be a while before I can make the trip to get that tank. But I think maybe when I go home next I will bring that one home and switch out. He doesn't seem to mind the small one for now though, he swims around and flares like I said before so I'm not too worried, but I think he deserves a little better.
How much does a gravel vac or siphon hose usually cost? I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, but I can try budget out a little extra for my fish if that's what he needs...

·
Registered
157 Posts
PetSmart has a betta waste remover for like $8. It's basically a big turkey baster, but it worked well for my small tanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Unfortunately, daily water changes aren't really an option for me. I have a pretty heavy school schedule and in just the first couple of weeks of school I've been averaging on three-four hours of homework a day.
Perhaps if I tried every other day or every third? I also don't want to stress him out by constantly taking him out of his tank and putting him back, since when I brought him home he seemed to not appreciate the constant environmental changes (from the petstore bowl to the bag to the tank, I did do my best to acclimate him first though so there wasn't any shock with the temperature.)
If 1 gallon is 3.8 litres, then I don't even have him in a full gallon... I kind of feel bad for that. I know I have a small 3 gallon tank at my parents' house, but they live 6 hours away from me so it'll be a while before I can make the trip to get that tank. But I think maybe when I go home next I will bring that one home and switch out. He doesn't seem to mind the small one for now though, he swims around and flares like I said before so I'm not too worried, but I think he deserves a little better.
How much does a gravel vac or siphon hose usually cost? I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, but I can try budget out a little extra for my fish if that's what he needs...
If you must , go to every other day. I agree that it's bad to take him out to change water. But if you get a siphon hose, and you don't have to buy one if you find a 3' piece of any hose laying around that hasn't been used in anything nasty, you can suck out half of the water with him in the tank. And doing changes that way can be accomplished in 10 minutes or less. You can buy a 5g bare tank very cheap. I got a 10g bare tank for $13 at Petco so a 5g should be cheap. If you can't find a hose free, to save money you can go to Lowes and buy a section of flexible tubing very cheap. Do you understand how to use a hose to siphon?

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you want this tank to require less maintenance then you need to get something much bigger. That's ridiculously small for a 2 inch fish.

If you want to stick with something small and not have as much maintenance (since you lack the time to do daily water changes) then I suggest something like 2 gallons (7.57 Liters) and live plants.

If your betta is small (young) then micropellets are great until he's big enough for the regular size pellets. You don't have to feed often - they can go a couple of weeks without food. I feed my bettas every other day, but once a day is also fine. They don't need much, their stomach is as small as their eyes and one full size betta pellet is going to expand in water after a couple of minutes to fill their entire stomach. My fully grown males can eat 2 or 3 pellets, but when I fed them everyday I only gave them 1 or 2. My females get fed every day because they get food with others in the tank (they're always looking plump).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Actually, bettas need more food than that. I feed my boys and girls (all 7 of them) 3-4 NLS pellets (1mm in diameter) in the morning and 3-4 more at night. I would recommend feeding them bloodworms every Saturday and fasting them on Sunday. I would also recommend a 10 gallon tank because you will have to do very little water changes. According to AQAdvisor (www.aqadvisor.com) my 10 gallon tank with 1 beta in it is 47% stocked and I need to do a 4% water change per week (I do more though). But, my filter is a huge filter (Tetra Whisper 10-30i) and is meant for up to 30 gallon tanks (apparently, it's 1368% of what I need in a tank that size).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Try looking at the local classifieds and garage sales for some cheap tanks, I got a 10 gal with gravel and a good filter for $10.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you must , go to every other day. I agree that it's bad to take him out to change water. But if you get a siphon hose, and you don't have to buy one if you find a 3' piece of any hose laying around that hasn't been used in anything nasty, you can suck out half of the water with him in the tank. And doing changes that way can be accomplished in 10 minutes or less. You can buy a 5g bare tank very cheap. I got a 10g bare tank for $13 at Petco so a 5g should be cheap. If you can't find a hose free, to save money you can go to Lowes and buy a section of flexible tubing very cheap. Do you understand how to use a hose to siphon?
I live in a dorm room, so I don't have a place to keep anything much bigger than 3 gallons, however, I will look into getting a 5g one if I manage to find a place to put one. Also. because I live in a dorm, there's not likely to be any hose type material lying around here. I will look into a siphon or gravel vac next time I'm at the pet store, and I'll also check into getting some tubing at a hardware store. Thank you for your advice, it's really helpful! And yes, I know how to siphon a tank, I used to do it for my previous bettas.

Reactions: marshallsea

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want this tank to require less maintenance then you need to get something much bigger. That's ridiculously small for a 2 inch fish.

If you want to stick with something small and not have as much maintenance (since you lack the time to do daily water changes) then I suggest something like 2 gallons (7.57 Liters) and live plants.

If your betta is small (young) then micropellets are great until he's big enough for the regular size pellets. You don't have to feed often - they can go a couple of weeks without food. I feed my bettas every other day, but once a day is also fine. They don't need much, their stomach is as small as their eyes and one full size betta pellet is going to expand in water after a couple of minutes to fill their entire stomach. My fully grown males can eat 2 or 3 pellets, but when I fed them everyday I only gave them 1 or 2. My females get fed every day because they get food with others in the tank (they're always looking plump).
Like I said before, he seems to be doing fine in the one he's got. I'll keep a close eye on him though, that's for sure. But I have heard of bettas doing fine for many many years in a tank this small. Some bettas apparently don't like the bigger tanks. But I will be looking into getting a bigger one for sure. So no worries there.
He's full grown, so I don't think I'll need to get micro pellets. Again, I'm not exactly all that financially sound at the moment so I can't be throwing money around willy nilly for things he may or may not eat and then end up with a bunch of jars of food I'll never end up using. I'm going to try crushing the ones I have at his next feeding, we'll see how that goes. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, bettas need more food than that. I feed my boys and girls (all 7 of them) 3-4 NLS pellets (1mm in diameter) in the morning and 3-4 more at night. I would recommend feeding them bloodworms every Saturday and fasting them on Sunday. I would also recommend a 10 gallon tank because you will have to do very little water changes. According to AQAdvisor (www.aqadvisor.com) my 10 gallon tank with 1 beta in it is 47% stocked and I need to do a 4% water change per week (I do more though). But, my filter is a huge filter (Tetra Whisper 10-30i) and is meant for up to 30 gallon tanks (apparently, it's 1368% of what I need in a tank that size).
I definitely do not have the space for a ten gallon, if I did I would for sure be getting one for him now that I know how cheap they can be. In the meantime, I think the biggest I'll be able to keep is a five gallon until next summer when I'll hopefully be moving into a house or a bigger apartment instead of a dorm room. And as I've mentioned before he does seem to be doing fine in the one he's in. He even started making a bubble nest a few minutes ago.

As for the food, I gave him three pellets the first time I fed him, but then he was looking a little too rotund, so I brought it down to two pellets twice a day. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to a pet store within the next few days to get some bloodworms and something to siphon with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree with Red and Xeek. Bigger tank= less need for water changes and a happy betta. $3 worth of live, fast growing plants will do wonders.
I've never kept live plants before in an aquarium, is there anything I would need to do care-wise for them? I'm always worried about them dying...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've never kept live plants before in an aquarium, is there anything I would need to do care-wise for them? I'm always worried about them dying...
I have a Java Fern in my tank and it doesn't need any special care. I would look into one of those.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I live in a dorm room, and space is def an issue. If you are looking for a larger tank with not much of a footprint I'd go with a 2.5gal rectangle tank. It fits perfectly on my desk, and is easy to transport when moving + water changes are a breeze. :)
I think it got it for like $10 and a heater for around $15.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Plants are easier to care for than you would think. Wisteria and Anacharis are fast growers that will consume fish waste, making your water safer. Never had these plants die. IME , fish waste is fertilizer. Put a lamp over them and they'll do good. The main consideration for water changes and tank size is that a fish lives in his own toilet. If your on a tight budget , don't spend much on a siphon hose. In the end it works as good as one that costs more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plants are easier to care for than you would think. Wisteria and Anacharis are fast growers that will consume fish waste, making your water safer. Never had these plants die. IME , fish waste is fertilizer. Put a lamp over them and they'll do good. The main consideration for water changes and tank size is that a fish lives in his own toilet. If your on a tight budget , don't spend much on a siphon hose. In the end it works as good as one that costs more.
I just got back from PetLand. So I bought some bloodworms for a little diet variety, a siphon hose (they were on sale for really cheap, like $6.) a heater, a thermometre and I also got a little floating mirror because they were cheap and I thought he'd have fun with it. I also looked into the tanks they have there and they didn't have any 5g ones but they said they'd order a few because they've been getting lots of people asking about them. They said they run about $10-$15 with a lid (and I think she said a light was included?), and a filter would be $15-$30. Can anyone tell me if these are reasonable prices and where I can get a cheaper one if possible?

Once I get the bigger tank, I'll get a live plant or two and a filter. Foor now he'll have to make do with the small tank, but again, he seems to be quie content so I'm not worried about him at all.

Thank you everyone for your help and input! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got back from PetLand. So I bought some bloodworms for a little diet variety, a siphon hose (they were on sale for really cheap, like $6.) a heater, a thermometre and I also got a little floating mirror because they were cheap and I thought he'd have fun with it. I also looked into the tanks they have there and they didn't have any 5g ones but they said they'd order a few because they've been getting lots of people asking about them. They said they run about $10-$15 with a lid (and I think she said a light was included?), and a filter would be $15-$30. Can anyone tell me if these are reasonable prices and where I can get a cheaper one if possible?

Once I get the bigger tank, I'll get a live plant or two and a filter. Foor now he'll have to make do with the small tank, but again, he seems to be quie content so I'm not worried about him at all.

Thank you everyone for your help and input! :)
Prices sound about right. A live plant will act like a filter in your small tank, and could buy you time on buying a filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey! =] I would try amazon they have a lot of good deals.
& I honestly think that 3 gallon that you have will be ok for him.
I also would recommend you getting this..http://www.petco.com/product/13403/...Aquarium-Supplement.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
It's awesome & and a small bottle is like around 7.99 or something like that and it would last a long time if you're just gonna use a three gallon, or even in your smaller tank til you can get another one. =]

And great name for your fish! I love supernatural I've been watching it since the pilot aired. It's a great show. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey! =] I would try amazon they have a lot of good deals.
& I honestly think that 3 gallon that you have will be ok for him.
I also would recommend you getting this..NutraFin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement at PETCO
It's awesome & and a small bottle is like around 7.99 or something like that and it would last a long time if you're just gonna use a three gallon, or even in your smaller tank til you can get another one. =]

And great name for your fish! I love supernatural I've been watching it since the pilot aired. It's a great show. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much! :D I'm glad you like his name, haha. I myself only recently got into the show, but I watched every episode and I'm ready to start the new season! Haha.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll definitely check it out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.