Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just received a betta (Baby Yoda) and I was wondering about the gender of the betta and the type that she/he is?

I am also curious about his health. I am pretty sure his caudal fin has some fin rot but I also notice the scales at the bottom of his head are grey. I am not sure if that is normal or an indicator of something I should be aware of. I am still upgrading his tank and would like to know if there is anyway I can make it better especially with health in mind.

Additionally, it is difficult to see in the pictures but sometimes there appears to be a black mark on the top of his head. I am wondering what it might be. Unfortunately, it is hard to get a picture of it. It almost looks like it was an old cut maybe.

Any information about my new betta fish would be a huge help, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,439 Posts
The black on his head is normal. Some Betta are "full-masked" which means their scale pattern covers their entire head. Some are called "half-mask" which is when the scale pattern on top of the head does not meet. Your boy is a half-mask.

The black on his fin edges are natural coloring. He does appear to have some fin damage but definitely not fin rot.

The gray under his chin is his natural iridescence.

Because he is not flaring I cannot tell you his caudal type.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
With fins and a body shape like that, almost certainly male. :)

If you're still not sure, I always suggest to take a flashlight and shine it from behind your betta. If you see just the round shadow of their belly, they are male. If you see a triangular shadow that extends about halfway down their body, those are ovaries and they are female. There are other things to look for to help you, but they're not always 100% accurate because sometimes you'll find a male with a false "eggspot" or a female with long fins, etc.

I'm pretty sure your betta is male so you don't really need to test at all, but if you'd like to check for ovaries anyway I can provide examples of bettas lit via flashlight to show you what shadows to look for.

As for tail he looks to be in the Delta/Halfmoon "family", but the difference between the two depends on how far his tail spreads when he flares. A HM will make a perfect "D" shape with straight edges, while a DeT will be less than that- and an Over Halfmoon will, as the name suggests, open up even further!

He doesn't seem to have the excessive ruffling of a Rosetail, nor the obvious spikes of a Crowntail, double lobes of a Doubletail, or short fins of a Plakat. A Veiltail is technically possible because I can't see the rays of his tail in your pictures, but I doubt it. VT's have rays that branch just once, into a "Y" shape, and their tails usually narrow almost to a point at the end. Your boy's tail is pretty flat at the end, which is characteristic of DeT/HM.

And as Russell has said, the colors you are seeing are perfectly normal. While fin rot does often show up as a black edge on fins, some bettas also have natural black edges as a part of their coloration. That seems to be the case here so there's no need to be alarmed.

He does look to have a little bit of damage which is also pretty common, and shouldn't be anything that warm, clean water and good food wouldn't be able to fix. However, if you are still concerned about his health you should make a post in our "Diseases and Emergencies" section, and we'll be happy to go more in-depth on the subject.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The black on his head is normal. Some Betta are "full-masked" which means their scale pattern cover their entire head. Some are called "half-mask" which is when the scale pattern on top of the head do not meet. Your boy is a half-mask.

The black on his fin edges are natural coloring. He does appear to have some fin damage but definitely not fin rot.

The gray under his chin is his natural iridescence.

Because he is not flaring I cannot tell you his caudal type.
Thank you so much!

I noticed when he flares that something black appears behind his gills as they're opening. I don't know if that is helpful information. Unfortunately it is hard to get a good picture of him flaring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you're still not sure, I always suggest to take a flashlight and shine it from behind your betta. If you see just the round shadow of their belly, they are male. If you see a triangular shadow that extends about halfway down their body, those are ovaries and they are female. There are other things to look for to help you, but they're not always 100% accurate because sometimes you'll find a male with a false "eggspot" or a female with long fins, etc.

I'm pretty sure your betta is male so you don't really need to test at all, but if you'd like to check for ovaries anyway I can provide examples of bettas lit via flashlight to show you what shadows to look for.

As for tail he looks to be in the Delta/Halfmoon "family", but the difference between the two depends on how far his tail spreads when he flares. A HM will make a perfect "D" shape with straight edges, while a DeT will be less than that- and an Over Halfmoon will, as the name suggests, open up even further!

He doesn't seem to have the excessive ruffling of a Rosetail, nor the obvious spikes of a Crowntail, double lobes of a Doubletail, or short fins of a Plakat. A Veiltail is technically possible because I can't see the rays of his tail in your pictures, but I doubt it. VT's have rays that branch just once, into a "Y" shape, and their tails usually narrow almost to a point at the end. Your boy's tail is pretty flat at the end, which is characteristic of DeT/HM.

And as Russell has said, the colors you are seeing are perfectly normal. While fin rot does often show up as a black edge on fins, some bettas also have natural black edges as a part of their coloration. That seems to be the case here so there's no need to be alarmed.

He does look to have a little bit of damage which is also pretty common, and shouldn't be anything that warm, clean water and good food wouldn't be able to fix. However, if you are still concerned about his health you should make a post in our "Diseases and Emergencies" section, and we'll be happy to go more in-depth on the subject.

Thank you so much for all of the information!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts