Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy an AZOO palm filter to replace the filter I currently have that came with the Aqueon 2.5 minibow. I know that I'll have to modify the hood of the tank somewhat to make the filter fit, but I'm willing to do that, and I think my dad has the tools to manage it. I also read that the filter has a little space to add filter beads, so I was wondering: what would be the best filter media to add in the extra space?

And does anyone have any advice on how to do a fish-in cycle after I switch to this new filter? My current filter is completely overrun with algae, which is part of why I want to switch over to a new filter, among other reasons. As such, I don't think transferring whatever BB I have to my new filter is going to work without bringing along all that algae. I think a fresh start would be best. Ideas?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I personally just use plain filter sponge as my filter media.

Make sure you are using Prime Water conditioner.

Make sure you test the water every single day and if the ammonia or nitrite levels reach .25ppm - .50ppm then do a 50% water change.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Let me know how you had to modify the hoods. I have the same tank and want to put the Azoo in my tanks as well :)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Change half of the water whenever ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.50ppm. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with every change and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled. The tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite read 0.0ppm and nitrate rises slightly between changes.

For reference and deeper understanding, there are several cycling stickies at the top of this section. But the method outlined above is simple -- and it works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... Drs Foster and Smith is the only place I can find where I can get an AZOO Palm Filter, and they said that they would have it in stock again today. But I just checked... And now it says it won't be available until the 30th. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this filter...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet another update!

Since the AZOO Palm Filter isn't going to be available anytime soon, I've decided to try out the TOM Mini Internal Filter instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Since it's internal, I shouldn't have to make any modifications on the hood, after all. This seems like a pretty good alternative to the AZOO Palm, and also not much more expensive. After I get this and install it, I'm going to start using my Seachem Stability to see if I can get a cycle going once and for all, algae-free! :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I want to point out fish don't need light. Neither do bb. Algae do. if you blackout the tank for about 7-14 days before doing the switchover, you can seed the tank and not carry over algae.

Or you might not even need to switch filters.

If you are having algae problems, if the only thing you change is the filter, your algae problems will come back, even if you don't start with any in the tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
bluenail - The filter is completely overrun with algae, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it at this point. I have a snail in the tank that eats whatever algae grows on the decorations and plants, but I don't know how to clean the algae out of the filter so that the BB would even have a chance to grow.

Unfortunately, I don't think a blackout is an option for my tank, since I'm also trying to grow live plants. Do you have any other ideas?

EDIT: The main reason I'm changing filters is actually not because of the algae, but more because the one I have right now is enormous and covers half the light, and takes up a lot more space than it really needs to. So I've been looking for a smaller filter, mainly, but getting rid of the algae I thought would be a bonus. If it comes back with the new filter, though, at least I'll have gotten rid of the old, clunky filter and can just work on getting rid of the algae while I cycle the tank.

TerriGtoo - I've considered getting ceramic media. The one you suggested doesn't look too expensive, so I may tack that on with the filter I'm planning to get. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've got one Deep Blue that used to get tons of algae in it. That dark green, gross, slimey, stringy stuff. I used one of those long handle aquarium brushes to get into the tubes and nooks and clean it out. I rinsed it under very hot water several times. After about a year of fighting algae, a friend suggested putting a ball of java moss in the tank. Within about two months the algae problem was gone. And the java moss grew like a weed. I'm guessing it sucked up all the nutirents the algae was feeding on. Now I have a regular supply so that I can put some in all my tanks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
bluenail - The filter is completely overrun with algae, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it at this point. I have a snail in the tank that eats whatever algae grows on the decorations and plants, but I don't know how to clean the algae out of the filter so that the BB would even have a chance to grow.

TerriGtoo - I've considered getting ceramic media. The one you suggested doesn't look too expensive, so I may tack that on with the filter I'm planning to get. Thanks!
You are very welcome!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The java moss sounds like a really good idea. I'm hoping if I get a less clunky filter, I'll have more light for more plants. Plus, my water wisteria isn't doing too well, so I'm going to go check out Petsmart soon and get some new plants. I'll see if they have any java moss while I'm there, too. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't found any java moss in Petco/Petsmart, so I'm probably just going to try to buy that online. Although honestly, I'm not sure how much more room I even have for plants. I've been stuffing this tank with everything decent I can get my hands on.

Today I switched out my old filter for the new TOM Internal filter I bought. Here's the new look:

I love how it really brightened the tank up and gives Edmond more room to swim. My only concern is that he might somehow get himself caught in the current at the back of the tank. I'll try to rearrange things tomorrow to make the tank a little safer and better for the plants.

I've also started dosing with Seachem Stability, since I'm switching filters. It's a 2.5 gallon tank (closer to 2 than 2.5), so I put in 4 drops of Stability, and for the next 7 days I'll put in 2. Does that sound right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.