Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been considering adding some rooibos to Betta Cam's tank. He got a slight fin tear, which is already healing, but I was thinking of helping it along. Also to try it out to see how he likes it. But before I give it a try, i had a few questions i wanted to run by you all for which I couldn't find answers, or was just a bit tentative about.

1) I've read here on the forum that it's more important for a betta to have consistent pH rather than to try to treat it.
a) I have a pH from 7.4 - 7.6 From what I gather, rooibos will drop the pH about .2 This should still be acceptable, correct?
b) Once i add the rooibos, do i need to keep adding it forever to keep the pH consistent?

2) How long do you usually leave the tea bags in for? I've seen a few different answers. Overnight, taking it out the next morning?

3) I have seen someone say that rooibos calmed their fish down, and someone say that it made them more active. Is there one of these personality alterations that seems to happen more frequently? I don't know if i want to change his behavior too much! I like how spunky he is. :)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the advice or tips!

Things have been going pretty copacetic-ly in the tank lately, so I'm a bit nervous to add a new element and throw off the balance, but it could be he likes this even better.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My rooibos tea DID lower my pH. I have low pH (as in 6.6 or so) so that was a worry for me. But I've been told bettas actually prefer it in the lower range so 7.2-7.4 should still be fine.
Yes, you'll need to keep adding tea. If you have a 10 gallon, and you do 2 tea bags, then when you do a 50% change, steep 1 bag.
I've left the bag in for 2 hours- overnight. Usually when the bag pulled up and pressed runs clear water I pull it (this usually takes about an hour)
I didn't observe ANY behavior changes in my fish when I had it in except they stopped tail chomping so much. Once I get my ph settled a little higher, I am planning to put it back in as I have 2 serious tail chompers.

I had one fish who loved to hang out under the tea bag as it steeped in his tank. He swam over the minute he saw the tea bag and just waited for it to go in and then hung out under it. No idea why, but he liked it.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
1) When people try to change the pH with additives, the result is that it can fluctuate. (A few extra drops, or fewer drops, can vary the pH.) So unless the level is extreme, it's usually better just to leave it alone, IMO.

1a) Your pH of 7.4 - 7.6 is fine. If it drops by 0.2, that's still absolutely fine. In their natural habitat, the water tends to be soft and slightly acidic.

1b) No, you don't need to keep adding the rooibos forever. If you ever decide to stop, that would be OK. The pH would climb back up to its original value. (But again, a pH that's in the 7.4 - 7.6 area is considered acceptable.) Just take them out while doing a water change, then acclimate the fish as usual. The acclimation process will allow the fish's body to adjust slowly to any changes in water parameters.

2) Rooibos contains antioxidants and antimicrobials, but not tannins. (Tea, Indian Almond Leaves and Oak Leaves all contain tannins.) I've only used Oak Leaves, and I've left them in the tank for quite awhile. So I'll defer to others who have used Rooibos in their tanks.

3) You could try the rooibos and see if it affects your fish's behavior. It's OK to remove it if you ever decide that you want to take it out of the tank.

@aselvarial - Bettas often hang out under leaves, and many build their bubble nests under them. So perhaps your fish thinks of the tea bag as his 'leaf.' :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.