Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon tank with a whisper micro filter. Originally I was going to try to cycle it, but then I realized that this filter uses disposable filter cartridges. Is it still possible to cycle it or will I need a non disposable cartridge? Also are there any that are available for this filter?

If I end up keeping it uncycled, how much and how frequently should I do water changes?

As for the fin rot, my little halfmoon has a minor case of it. I've only had him for a couple of days and bought him from petsmart. Pretty much every betta there seemed to have a case of it. Since it's only minor, would just clean water conditions be enough to fix it?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yes, you can cycled the tank with any cartridge. Regardless on what the company says to do, do not ever replace your filter cartridge unless it is literally falling apart - this can tank years. Once this happens, lay a new filter on top of or next to the old one for at least 3-4 weeks (the longer the better) so the bacteria can transfer over. You can also just replace the cartridge with plain filter sponge. You can buy a good amount of this for super cheap at pet stores. Then just cut the sponge to fit into your filter. The reason why companies say to replace the cartridge is to 1) make more money and 2) may of those filter cartridges have carbon in them and the carbon is useless after a few weeks. However there is no need to have carbon in your filter unless you are removing meds from the tank.

Once your tank is cycled, you can do one 50% water change a week.

If you haven't, read this thread about cycling.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

as for the fin rot - just do daily water changes and it should be fine. Since its minor then it will clear itself up with clean water.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It doesn't matter. Do a normal water change.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
if that is what your normal water change is then yes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts