Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am a brand new fish owner with a fair amount of questions, and this seemed like a good place to start. Please bear with me as this is all very new to me, (fish owning and forum using alike). I bought my betta Bowie at Petco two days again. He lives in a filtered, heated, three gallon tank.

On the first day I followed an online tutorial about acclimating him slowly to the new tank. Once he was ready to be introduced, he started swimming right away, and seemed lively and curious. He didn't eat, but I read that this is not uncommon when first introducing a betta to a new home. On day two, he did eat. I'm feeding him New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. I noticed at some point that he had wedged himself between the heater and the side of the tank. I checked the thermometer periodically over the course of the day and it remained at a steady 78 degrees. He stayed in this position for hours! I became very worried, and I did a ton of research online which only served to make me more worried without giving me a definitive answer. This morning (Day 3) he seemed a bit perkier and ate, but promptly swam back to that same spot. I did my first partial water change at about 30%, conditioning the new water with Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus and it seemed to make a world of difference. He was swimming around and exploring his new space again. I went out and bought a Freshwater Master Test Kit and received these results:

Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
pH 7.0
Ammonia 1.0 ppm

The ammonia level totally freaked me out! I'm new to the whole concept of cycling a tank, so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to change this other than continue to do partial water changes. Bowie seems to be doing better than yesterday which leads me to believe that the ammonia levels were even higher before the water change. Is this normal with a new tank? Can Bowie be okay in these conditions. Any suggestions/tips etc., in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts